Deep relief engraving

Rancher Mike

I am new to engraving and I would like to know how to cut the design. Should the work be cut leaning the graver to the inside of the cut as is usually suggested or the outside to have a more vertical face? Thank you Mike

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Mike, and welcome to the engraving world.
I am assuming you are talking about regular high relief engraving.
The way I usually do it is to cut the design twice.
First cut in the " normal" way with the cuts designed to accent the elements.
Then I re-cut, leaning the graver into the "field/background" area to gain clearance.
This is an aid in the clean removal of the background material without damaging the design.
This is not the only way, but it works for me. I'm sure you will get alternate advise.

Rancher Mike

Then I re-cut, leaning the graver into the "field/background" area to gain clearance.
This is an aid in the clean removal of the background material without damaging the design.
This is not the only way, but it works for me. I'm sure you will get alternate advise.
Thanks John yes removing background material was what I hope to accomplish and was unsure if it required a different approach to cutting the design. Is there any follow up work to the first cuts like polishing the design beveled cuts.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks John yes removing background material was what I hope to accomplish and was unsure if it required a different approach to cutting the design. Is there any follow up work to the first cuts like polishing the design beveled cuts.

Hello Mike,
Not if the initial design cuts are made to impart the degree of shine you want, and you don't run into them while making the second cuts or back ground removal cuts.

monk

Staff member
polishing such may well damage areas that would not look so good. best to use a highly polished graver. the degree of polish on the graver, will impart same into your cuts. 50k diamond grit will deliver what you want.

Hey John thanks for the tips from your process. Do you use the same graver for both steps? Like 120 on first accent cuts and also on the secondary away cuts into the field or background? Or do you switch to a 90 or different geometry for the secondary cuts? Just curious, I know most seem to use a regular square for the second. Thanks for any insight, been thinking about this a bit lately for deep relief. If doing a sculpted piece or deeper relief work do you make the first initial cuts even deeper than usual? Or just as normal and background it self is just removed to a deeper level alone? Sorry secondary question I've also been thinking about lately

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
If I am attempting an exceptionally deep relief background I will usually cut the outline to a normal depth, using a 90, 110 or 120 degree graver.
Then I will recut this outline with the the cut falling into the background area. In tight or narrow places I will use an onglette and in some wider areas I use a flat angled over to gain clearance surrounding the design. Then I make cross cuts over the background areas with an onglette to establish a consistent depth. Remove the material between the onglette cuts using different widths of flat gravers to obtain a flat and even depth of relief.
If sculpture is required I do it at this stage.
Texture, stipple or line the background.
Ink the design if that is required.
Just my method. There are many other methods used such as rotary tools to remove background.

If I am attempting an exceptionally deep relief background I will usually cut the outline to a normal depth, using a 90, 110 or 120 degree graver.
Then I will recut this outline with the the cut falling into the background area. In tight or narrow places I will use an onglette and in some wider areas I use a flat angled over to gain clearance surrounding the design. Then I make cross cuts over the background areas with an onglette to establish a consistent depth. Remove the material between the onglette cuts using different widths of flat gravers to obtain a flat and even depth of relief.
If sculpture is required I do it at this stage.
Texture, stipple or line the background.
Ink the design if that is required.
Just my method. There are many other methods used such as rotary tools to remove background.
Thanks for taking the time to reply John, I greatly appreciate it. I've been thinking a lot about deeper relief work and clean sidewalls. And it got me thinking that if I want to do a sculpture or just a deep relief background that maybe the initial outline cuts should try to be cut to the depth that the background will be. Your process explanation helped clear that up for me a bit. Your right though there is more than one way to skin a cat. I know a lot of guys are quite steady with rotary tools. I'm extremely thankful for all of the great information you and fellow members share here on the forum. No way I would have come as far as i have over the past few months without this community.
-Tom

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Tom, thank you.
I should have said that I cut the outline twice.
First time to size. flair the elements and control the design.
The second cutting for any touch up, but mainly to deepen the design for BG removal.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
a technique i've toyed with several times-- dra your design. then texture just the background. when satisfied with the background, go ahead and cut the design. working this way, you'll never damage your cuts.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
a technique i've toyed with several times-- dra your design. then texture just the background. when satisfied with the background, go ahead and cut the design. working this way, you'll never damage your cuts.

Hi Jay, thanks for that.
Sounds like a great way to go if you are not relieving the background areas.

Sponsors