Demagnetizing Tools

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
It's not uncommon for your graver point to become magnatized ,this can be a pain sometimes. I have a demagnetizer that I use in my business, there are
many different syles and price ranges, but for those who may already have one and don't know it here is a tip I took out of FEGA "How to hand book"
R.H McCrory. If you have a soldering gun , the type with the wire that loopes
out in front of the terminals. Just plug it in , pull the trigger, and pass your graver slowly through the center of the looped area. This will only take a few seconds and your graver will be demagnetized.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I also had problems with my graver holding chips. I found a new demagnitizer on ebay for $19.00. This works great. It has an on/off switch and only takes one pass with the graver to demagnitize it.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This reminds me of the time Lee Griffiths and I were teaching, and someone had (what they thought to be) a demagnetizer in Lee's classroom. I proceeded to test it on Lee's gravers, and I think I magnetized about a dozen of them before I realized it was not a demagetizer. Sorry about that Lee! :D

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
demagnetizer

Hi All,
If you need an inexpensive demagnetizer. Look around your shop for
a lead solder gun for electric soldering. The U shape element also acts
as a demagnetizer. I use it to demagnetize beading tools.
It works Okay. A real unit works better. You can use soldering gun till
you get the real thing.

Jim

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
thats a good tip , as of now i use a large donut shaped magnet from a dc motor, I pass the graver through and the chips drop off. I'm gonna try the solder iron.
Kent

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Copied and pasted for your viewing pleasure from my post on the knife network:

The best solution and the one I use because I'm a watch repairman is the de-magnetizer that watchmakers use. You put the part or in this case a graver on top of the box, push the button and in a nano second it's done. You can get them from supply houses for jewelers, watchmakers such as "CasKer". Some say Bulova on them but not necessarily so and the best ones are electronic.

I'd suggest eBay as a shopping place for this item. It can be readily obtained there from time to time or try "Dashto Horology" on the web for used watchmaking stuff.

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had experienced problems with my gravers getting magnetized and the chips clinging to them. I read the tip about the soldering gun which I did try but it had no noticeable effect? Mine is the old Weller brand and I tried passing the graver through the open space in the tip from left to right and right to left but the graver still held chips?

I also tried a head demagnetizer I had for demagnetizing the heads on cassette decks. Minimal success with that too!

I saw one on sale a while ago at Enco. It weighs about 10 lbs or so and has a strong magnetic field. SUCCESS!

I've seen similar ones on EBAY as well.

Peter

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
I used my Weller soldering gun as per a suggestion on FEGA and it worked rather well for me. Odd, usually if something is going to fail, it'll do it in MY hands.

Cody