Design for a Titanium engagement ring

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Next I will have to make a Ti engagement ring for my son Sam, he will give at his boyfriend.
I made two designs as the first one the ring was probably to wide for the finger. (12mm on top)
The next design he choose for bigger stones as I advised him it would look more male.
As the ring he choose is only 8 mm, I had to make another design with less scrolls. For me something quite new at design.

Anyway, I think he made a good choice and it will be less hard o engrave on a curved surface.
I didn't add the shading on the design as I don't have the time for it at the moment.

Hope you like it, comments as usual are welcome

arnaud

This one I will make next

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I can`t comment much on the design, but i suggest cutting down on the bead work on the stones.
Maybe you just drew it that way but, fewer bigger beads will be easier to keep in line & stronger.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Chris, you are right about that. This is just a design, stones of that size I don't add 4 beads for each stone in the center.

Here is a shaded part

arnaud

Attachments

• Scan50218.JPG
    Scan50218.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 102

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful designs, I like them both but I prefer the 2nd design too.

I look forward to seeing a post of the final product.

Candy

Arnaud,

Are you aware of the danger in making rings from titanium? When I had my store, I sold a few wedding bands in Ti before the problem was brought to my attention.
Suppose the person wearing the ring has an accident that causes their finger to swell. Traditional precious metal rings can be cut off at the emergency room with the electric powered ring cutter. Tungsten rings can be broken off with little difficulty. Titanium rings cannot be cut with the power cutter unless it has the diamond blade. Most emergency rooms do not have such a blade. Without it, in a few seconds, their tool will be too dull to cut butter. As soon as this was brought to my attention, I stopped carrying the ti bands. I did an experiment with a jeweler's saw on the last one I had in stock. Cutting slowly, I was able to make progress. Using the ring cutter, mine is hand operated, took a very long time. Had it been electric, the heat build-up in the blade would have taken the temper out instantly.

If they want something unconventional, how about palladium? Not common, not as expensive as Pt. Makes a good ring and you can set the gems well.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Francis, That could be a problem yes, but as I use Titanium grade one, it is quite easy to cut this Ti.
But the same with gold or whatever, a person always have to realize that a ring has to fit the finger. If one burns his hand, even with water, the first thing you have to do is to take of the ring. Even a insect bite.
You have a few moment to do that, after that the finger will swell.

But for tree years now, most wedding ring I make are made of Ti, as gold is to expensive for most people.

I'm quite sure a Ti ring can be cut of a finger using a regular ring cutter, after that you will have to change the blade, I know.

Anyway, I like to work with Titanium a lot.

arnaud

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a quick first aid tip to remove a ring from a swollen finger without damaging the ring. Be aware though that the technique is used by undertakers removing rings from dead bodies and that on a live body it a) hurts like hell and b) you have to be quick.

First, thread a fairly long piece of twine or thin string through the ring (i.e between the metal and flesh, sorry to be pedantic). You want about 4 inches that should extend towards the arm not the finger nails.

Next, (working fast as it really hurts) starting next to the ring bind the finger with touching turns of twine. This needs to be as tight as possible so as to flatten the knuckle as much as possible and it should extend over the swollen knuckle. As soon as the knuckle is bound tight start to gently pull the free, 4 inch, end. The string will start to unwind and the ring will travel over the bound knuckle. As soon as it's over said knuckle unwind the rest of the twine.

I know this technique works because whilst using a rotary sander for a long period I ended up with white finger from the vibration and my fingers swelled like sausages. The ring I was wearing was cutting into me at an alarming rate and I was genuinely frightened for my safety. A friend who was a qualified first aider (and as it happens an ex undertaker) thought quickly and saved my finger and the ring by using this technique.

Last edited:
In the years I had my store, I helped many people out of stuck rings. If it had to be cut, I recommended doing it quickly. If the ring looked as if it would come off over the knuckle if the flesh was not swollen, I would try taking it off. I never used the string technique. I would sit opposite my client and start talking quietly about other things while I gently worked on the ring. As carefully as possible, I would pull the flesh under the ring from the back. Pulling on the ring pushes the flesh in front of it and makes a knot against the knuckle. Working from the back and pulling the flesh allows the ring to float toward the fingertip. Does it always work? No. Does it sometimes hurt too much to continue? Yes. But when it does work, it is quicker and more reliable than any other way I have seen. My record was getting a ring off which the lady had not been able to remove in 47 years. Beat my previous record by 10 years.
I developed the method to remove my own wedding band when my fingers would start getting large with heat, etc. (The euphemism is that I'm retaining fluid. The truth is I'm over weight.) No amount of pulling would make the ring come off but pulling the skin back allowed the ring to come off in seconds.
I'm still concerned about the titanium.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
I like the second design better too. (So does my wife)
Please post the finished ring.
Keith

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will Keith and thanks for liking it.

Marcus, thanks for the advise about how to remove the ring if needed. But no matter how, sure I can remove any ring from a finger as I have the tools for that.
But I don't think it is my responsibility to take care how this has to be done in case of.
And one can lose a finger or more when one has an accident, even when he does not wear any ring.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Finished

I got it finished. I have send the photos to my son and he really likes it.
Now I have to call UPS to have the ring in the UK so he can take it with him to LA where his friend lives. So there will be a "arnaud" in the US then. :big grin:
It is only the second ring I engraved, but I quite satisfied about the result, hope you like it too.

arnaud

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,

It looks fabulous! Nice clean design and smooth cutting. The stone setting looks great too! I'm sure your son will be thrilled.

Mark

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is stunning- you do great work- thanks for "including" us in it's conception- Best wishes to your son, as well!

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If he didn't like it you'd have to disinherit him. It's a great design and beautifully executed.
So, is he Arnaud Jr.? LA is a very exciting place to be at a certain age.
I'm going there to do a show next week. I always enjoy my visits.
Cheers to him and his partner.
Kevin P.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
Beautiful work.:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:
I'm sure your son will love it.
I have 2 rings here that I have to engrave for me and my wife one of these days......
Keith

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Arnaud,

That is certainly an elegant and masterful statement. I always enjoy seeing your work, from conception, through evolution, to fruition. Congratulations to all involved parties.

Best regards,
Doug

Latest posts

Sponsors