Question: Design translation.

zahar

Elite Cafe Member
Hello. Please advise. Which laser printer to buy for design translations. Acetone including. Thanks.

Last edited:

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
I have a cheap HP laserjet pro P1102w. For many years the acetone method didn`t work, only with "parchment method" or simular. When I ran out of toner, I bought a new toner casette, and now the acetone transfer method work like a charm.

Jørn-Ove

zahar

Elite Cafe Member
I have a cheap HP laserjet pro P1102w. For many years the acetone method didn`t work, only with "parchment method" or simular. When I ran out of toner, I bought a new toner casette, and now the acetone transfer method work like a charm.

Jørn-Ove

what kind of parchment paper do you use?

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
what kind of parchment paper do you use?
I have used regular parchment (baking paper) from home depot, but I`ve found a better solution. Print on the "waxy" paper from normal shipping labels. The transfer with a "dammar solution" or something simular will be perfect:) Here is a link so you can see what I mean.

Last edited:

zahar

Elite Cafe Member
I have used regular parchment (baking paper) from home depot, but I`ve found a better solution. Print on the "waxy" paper from normal shipping labels. The transfer with a "dammar solution" or something simular will be perfect:) Here is a link so you can see what I mean.
Thanks

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the HP laserjet pro P1102w and print onto normal old baking paper sticky taped to normal old printer paper. It can be too warm for standard tape though and my dad spent half a day unjamming it for me. I use a heat proof sticky tape from O'Brien engineering in Australia. transfer solution is a little bottle with 50/50 turps and damar varnish

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
I use the HP laserjet pro P1102w and print onto normal old baking paper sticky taped to normal old printer paper. It can be too warm for standard tape though and my dad spent half a day unjamming it for me. I use a heat proof sticky tape from O'Brien engineering in Australia. transfer solution is a little bottle with 50/50 turps and damar varnish
I use the same method as you Dani, but I really recommend the waxy backside paper on shipping labels. The toner transfer immediately with a quick burnish with my finger nail.

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I use the same method as you Dani, but I really recommend the waxy backside paper on shipping labels. The toner transfer immediately with a quick burnish with my finger nail.
I want to give your trick a try, that video looks like you got amazing detail with your transfer. Where do you tape the 2 sheets together before feeding into the printer? the corners? along the whole edge? double sided tape? Thanks!

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
I want to give your trick a try, that video looks like you got amazing detail with your transfer. Where do you tape the 2 sheets together before feeding into the printer? the corners? along the whole edge? double sided tape? Thanks!
I just tape it with a regular tape along the edge about half the way from left corner

Jørn-Ove

TwoRivers

Hello. Please advise. Which laser printer to buy for design translations. Acetone including. Thanks.
Hello. I use the HP laser jet M110we it’s very inexpensive and works great.
some people will tell you to disable the heater. You don’t have to on this printer. I get the best transfers. Strait Acetone is too strong Use fingernail polish remover. caution there to types one without acetone and one with
acetone. Also don’t pay any attention to the color They can be very
read the label acetone
best

zahar

Elite Cafe Member
some people will tell you to disable the heater. You don’t have to on this printer. I get the best transfers. Strait Acetone is too strong Use fingernail polish remover. caution there to types one without acetone and one with
read the label acetone
best
Thanks for the advice

read the label acetone
best
I bought the same printer yesterday and it works like a dream! Exactly as you said pure acetone would dissolve it too well. Generic nail polish remover works really well. Affordable setup, around $100.

Thank you so much TwoRivers!

Here's my setup:

Printer: HP laser jet M110we

Cartridge: w1420a HP laserjet toner ( the one that came with)

Paper: standard A4

Print settings: standard

Solvent: Generic nail polish remover WITH acetone or about 90-95% acetone
Transfer tested on aluminum!

Method:
1. clean surface with acetone or isopropopanol(IPA)
2. print pattern on a4 on standard settings
3. fasten print face down onto workplate with tape
4. douse in nail polish remover until soaked
5. burnish with a spoon or a sponge ( apply pressure of some sort)
6. let dry a bit
7. remove!
See attached file for result.

Attachments

• IMG-20240105-WA0041 1.jpeg
    IMG-20240105-WA0041 1.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: