Design work

CMaddox

Question i posted on Facebook that led me here. A gentleman had mention that i may be able to find specific gun and knife profiles to use for making designs. Just curious on any web based libraries that may have specific gun/knife profiles by make and model? Thank you

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you could try the google search bar. that search bar connects to a world of info. might be worth a try.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is indeed a site where gun profiles have been uploaded from templates that members have submitted. I thought it was a "sticky" but am unable to find it now. I believe Gary Beathard was responsible for maintaining it.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I usually take a smoke pull of the item or a pencil rub. Then I scan it into Adobe Illustrator and select a layer over it and trace it using pen tools. For round objects like a barrel I wrap paper around it getting a rectangle when unwrapped. So far this has worked well for me. It is difficult to get exact copy for something like a recoil shield on a single action, but you can get fairly close enough to work.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use rubbings snd smoke prints also to make my templates. I then piece them together gor a stretchout template showing them connected. However these i find good for developing my ideas and layouts But not quite accurate enough for an exact transfer.
The real world issue is that no two guns are really alike. They usually dont quite match up from side to side due to hand polishing so you need to be flexible as you lay your design out on the actual gun and even when you transfer from one side to another
so if you use online templates just be aware you will need to adjust a bit

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I sent Sam all my gun templets you should be able to find them here on this forum ask monk for help making gun templets is easy I use Vellum to do the rubbings. J.J.

CMaddox

I usually take a smoke pull of the item or a pencil rub. Then I scan it into Adobe Illustrator and select a layer over it and trace it using pen tools. For round objects like a barrel I wrap paper around it getting a rectangle when unwrapped. So far this has worked well for me. It is difficult to get exact copy for something like a recoil shield on a single action, but you can get fairly close enough to work.
New to this so i was wondering what a smoke pull is?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
A smoke pull is usually made by coating the object in the soot from a smoky candle or oil lamp.
(A couple of added drops of motor oil will make a candle smoke.)
Then the smoke image is usually picked up on wide, clear tape ,such as shipping tape.
The tape can be applied to white paper or face-to-face to tape or a transparency, if a reverse is required.
Instead of smoke you can coat the item with a Magic Marker, the type used on White Boards.

CMaddox

A smoke pull is usually made by coating the object in the soot from a smoky candle or oil lamp.
(A couple of added drops of motor oil will make a candle smoke.)
Then the smoke image is usually picked up on wide, clear tape ,such as shipping tape.
The tape can be applied to white paper or face-to-face to tape or a transparency, if a reverse is required.
Instead of smoke you can coat the item with a Magic Marker, the type used on White Boards.
Thank you. I have to look around to see if i can find some examples

Latest posts

Sponsors