Question: diamond grinding wheels

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just bought my first TIG welder. The Miller Diversion 180. It of course requires that the Tungsten tips be ground to points. I looked at the wheels offered by GRS. Has anyone used them or offer other suggestions. Thanks Fred

JOSIAH HANLEY

have the miller 180 great welder i use one of the green grinder wheels from enco made for carbide bits works good i think the grinder with two wheels is under $150. i think the grs wheels would be to slow some times you have to take off filler filler that gets on the tungston

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
I'll chuck a tungsten up in a cordless drill and shape it on a 220 grit belt on a belt grinder. I'll sharpen 10 or 12 at a time this way.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
remember-- the grind direction has to be in line with the rod axis. a more stable arc is produced that way. the rods will spatter less and last longer that way. what this means-- when finished-- the little grind marks must line up the long way of the electrode.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought a diamond grinding wheel from lapcraft. It's coarser than what GRS sells. Removes metal very fast. I'd highly recommend lapcraft.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
I have been TIG welding for over 30 years and have never used or needed a diamond wheel or green just a standard bench grinder with fine wheel and sharpen on the side of the wheel do use a dust mask tungsten is not that good for your health if you have loads of it ,
Ray

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Fred good to talk to you again. That machine you have is a mighty fine unit AC/DC multi voltage with high freq, sweet unit. Fred there really is no need or a waste to use diamond wheels to grind tungsten. As stated you can use a regular grinding wheel either a pedestal unit or a hand held. I only go with the hand held when I'm in a tight spot and am too lazy to crawl out to the bench grinder. A silicon carbide wheel is the prefered choice (green wheel) it will cut the quickest and cleanest usually with no chatter, unless you get a coarse grit. Medium or fine is good the small the diameter tungsten the finer the grit usually. Length of point and all that is something all welders argue over, personally a long slender tip on a 1/8th tungsten is my preferance. When teaching or running a class on it we run off stubbier points, they dip them as fast as you grind them. Too bad you are not closer I have collected lots of welding goodies over the past 40 years. Just got a new tig torch last year and it's sitting in the box beside the others, but for the right job I'll get it out. You may want to look at a gas lense somewhere down the road depending on what you are doing, and if you jump into the aluminum remember to clean good with a stainless wire wheel. As stated earlier wear a dust mask during you grinding.
Good luck there are different types of tungsten but I am guessing this ain't your rodeo, any thing you need drop a line. By the way the engraving jig I got off you still works like a charm !

Eric

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Monk re grinding line direction
As I said over 30year in fact 35years at this tig welding capper manufacturing food and pharmaceutical equipment to USDA standards as well as nucular power plant and I have to say It doesn't matter a one bit which way you grind although what you are saying is true it's only under lab conditions that the more stable arc is detected being that we are mortal and cant hold a tig torch that steady the only time I would grind that way was when using micro tig sets where your may only be using sub 1 amp or up to 6-8 amps max
Ray

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to thank all who have provided guidance this new venture. I am setting up to add bits and spurs to my repertoire. I have worked with and around horses since I was a kid. Can't shoe anymore and even riding could leave me a quad. I thought I could shift directions a little and get into something new and engrave some of what I make.

Eric. It is nice to hear from you. I was unable to make the engrave-in this past year. Health issues. I look forward to talking with you soon and I appreciate the offer of advice. Fred

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Fred sorry to hear about the health issues hope all has turned out good. We had a good time at Scotts, you were missed. Tira and Brian Powley the Cover's showed as well as many others. Had a great conversations with all that were there. As always learned a few new tricks, ate too much, and had a great time.
Your new adventure sounds great. I don't know how your going to find time to fit this into your busy schedule. Are you going to use carbon steel, stainless or a little of both. I have seen some beautiful stuff done with both, as well as the silver tossed in for some bling. . Are you still doing the belts, I can see some fancy leather work fitting into this project.
As for the welding the biggest thing is to keep the joint area clean with tig. As for the rest play around and have some fun, keep a fairly tight arc unless you go with a gas lense. You will see pretty quick what will work and what won't. Again good luck and have some fun with that new toy it is a nice unit.

Eric

Latest posts

Sponsors