Diana and Pan

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I have been working on this for many months, and finally took the plunge, got started, and about eighty hours later, here it is. This does not include the hours and pencils and papers that I used to get the anatomy to where I thought it should be, the poses, the concept, the forest scenery, the kinds of trees, the light and shadow. This was an adventure, and the biggest challenge I ever set for myself. I know it's far prom perfect, but I am really pleased with myself.

This is not the kind of work most of us on the board do, but it IS engraved. I am very much inspired by Durer and Rembrandt, and can now better appreciate the work that they did.

And my thanks to the members of this forum for your suggestions and help, and the inspiration that you provide.

criticism welcome.

Thanks, Tom

This is cut on sterling silver, about 4" wide

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Tom

I think that you deserve to be very proud of yourself for doing this.

The design and cutting is truly beautiful. Your faces in the foliage and the pan and Diana figures are spot on. Your shading is superb with light from the top to darkness below. You've filled out the characters faces perfectly.

You have created a truly wonderful peice. Well done.

Cheers
Andrew

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very kindly, Andrew.

I forgot to say that this is an inlay that is going on a Jaeger rifle, ca. 1750, flintlock.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Tom
You finished it up very nicely since the last picture you sent me. Good use of various values to give it some dimension. Now I want to see the gun

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,

This piece is quite an inspiration for us all! Thank you for posting it, and such a superb photo. My first thought was that I was looking at a very deep carved old ivory. I love the way your foliage extends into the two muses, or 'green men'. Nice delicate little game of footsie going on there. The tone of the whole piece works for me.

best

Rod

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
Don't let Tom fool you folks .... without that horned helmet he wears while graving, he's got nothing! :D :D :D

Seriously Tom, like I said in the email, that's really amazing work!!! (Just curious though... did you have the helmet on when doing this one?)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very 3-dimensional. When I first looked at the photo I thought it was very deeply sculpted. Excellent job, Tom! *applause*

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It will certainly make a beautiful vignette on the gun. Please post pictures of the finished project when you get it set into the gun.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. This gun is a long term project, I've been working on it two years now this Feb, TWO YEARS, I never thought I'd be this long building one gun. But in between work and kids, yeah, it makes sense, considering the scope of the project. I certainly will post pictures when done, and perhaps some of the intermediate steps in between.

There will be techniques I will want to ask about, such as gold inlay, relief carving of steel, etc. This has been so much fun, learning new skills, pushing my abilities beyond comfortable, and making such an investment in time and money. There is no question in my mind that the effort is justified.

I will have this gun at DIxon's Gunmaker's Fair this coming summer, just west of Allentown PA. Will it be done then? I don't really know. Good thing I'm doing this for me, and not a customer! Tira, I think you are close by. It's a show that is an eye opener for engraving and handwork of all kinds. It's all muzzleloaders, mostly Kentucky long rifles.

Thanks, everyone for the generous sharing of your information and knowledge.

Tom

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,

I hope to see you at Dixon's this summer. I've tried to get there the past 2 years and my schedule has not worked out. Last year I was going to go with a blackpowder gun builder from my area, but both of us couldn't make it at the last minute. It will be good to meet you since we are not that far apart geographically. Where in NY are you? I grew up just south of Saratoga Springs near the Adirondacks and I'm up visiting my mom and family quite a bit. :)

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Oh, cool, Tira. I go EVERY year.

I know Kentucky engraving is generally pretty folksey, and should not really be as fine as the work seen on modern arms, but it has real artistic appeal. It has been said that the Kentucky rifle is a true American artform. To me, it's really a mix of French, German, English and Dutch cultures.

That said, you will see rifles, powder horns, knives of all levels of workmanship and artistry at the Fair. I'll post a notice for the Fair as we get closer.

I live in mid-state NY, along the Mass border. In a little town called Chatham. It's an old railroad town, just twenty five miles south east of Albany. Two miles from where the Taconic Parkway and I-90 intersect.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,

I know exactly where that is. I studied at Tanglewood just over the border at Lenox, MA. Half of the time I get off 287 and go up the back way on 9H or 9G through Catskill just to avoid the traffic. I'll give you a call next time I'm up in that neck of the woods. :)

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, that would be great if you stopped by. Drop me an e-mail, or call. You can e-mail me at tcurran@fairpoint.net.

I have met many of the members of the American Long Rifles forum(www.americanlongrifles.com) at Dixon's Fair.......and you know what? It's no longer just a web site, it's a community. This forum is the same kind of 'place'.

Regards,
Tom

Regards, Tom

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors