Did I misunderstand?

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I went on Lindsays forum because I was curious since it was mentioned on this forum. I think it was rather plain that if I didn't talk only about the Lindsay air product then I was out of bounds. Did I misunderstand?

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Glenn: I'm not 100% clear on Steve's policy, but I think he prefers his forum to focus on users of his tools and/or product support (like a Canon forum or Nikon forum). It does say Lindsay Engraving Tools Community Forum. I don't think owning one of his tools is manditory for joining, and there's probably a lot of info shared there. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know.

I see Steve's forum's been the victim of spammers, too (today). Tira and I are considering some new-member registration options that will make it difficult for spammers to get through.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glen,

Sam is correct.

Steve's forum is set up as a service for Lindsay tool owners. Steve uses the forum as a place for airgraver users to get help and for general engraving discussion.

Anyone who wants to participate is welcome, however, it is his company forum. Like Sam said it is like Canon having a canon products forum.

Ray

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glen the Lindsay forum is strictly for Lindsay tools. It's stated very clearly that is what it's for. You can not discuss or even type in the name of guys like Sam that teach for GRS or say much of anything about GRS tools. That's perfectly fine but seems to limit it a bit.
Mike

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I think this forum may just change things in the engraving world. Please don't misunderstand what I saying. I'm not saying
anything about Steve's tools, at all. As I'm not saying anything about GRS
either.

This is about Ideas. A free discussion amongst all engravers, I think this is more what we are used to in a learning situation. I think a lot of what
we discuss might rub either tool maker the wrong way. In that we
are talking on how to make tools that we are not buying form either
firm. I sure they'll get over it. The technique that we are teaching each other is where the real value lies. This is job security for all of us.
The more we add to each others pallets of pattern, the more our
talent will be in demand.

Today, I was at a Rich American account that I do work for. The owner was trotting out this mediocre crap from India. Making a virtue out of poor workman ship. Of course it was very expensive crap. A cross with at least 20 carats total weight of odd shaped diamonds. She actually used the Hindi word for crap as the type of diamonds these were. It was the worst setting I think I ever seen. They were laughing it up, saying how
fabulous it was. I suppose. I know for a fact that any of us could make this thing look sick and in a bad sense of sick. It just a matter of
advertising to change the style demand. I know for a fact that a lot
the stuff coming from India and China. They have very good technique merchandice also. So let's go where they can't follow.
Make thing they can't begin to knock off.

Last edited:

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
many put price before country.
"after the sweetness of a cheap price is gone the bitterness of poor quality remains".
Kent

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kent, That is a very true statement.

I am as guilty as anyone, but I think the general public at large is losing its sense of what quality is because of cheap low quality imports. A guy can go buy a good high quality "snap on" brand rachet or he can go to walmart and buy a rachet for less than half the price. There is a huge quality difference and he will replace the walmart rachet three times before the "snap on" rachet ever fails once. For some reason a large number of people either don't realize that or don't care. I think over the past 30-40 years our society has been conditoned to value the "great deal" over the "quality product".

That is one of two reasons I am very quiet about what I do locally. I don't advertise locally and frankly don't even want folks in my town to know I am even here beyond what I have to do legally as far as business license, taxes and such.

My average engraving job on a knife now days runs in the $2,500-$3,000 range. The one I am finishing now is a $6,000 engraving on a $1,500 hand made knife by joe Kious. Long ago I got tired of beating my head against the wall trying to justify what I do to locals, nieghbors, and even family. I got tire of hearing the , "is it made out of gold" and "boy you got a scam going" comments from people.

It would be different if folks had a sense of appreciation for the quality and artwork involved but in general most folks don't. If they did, the comments would be more like, "I can't afford it but it sure is nice" or, "One of these days I'm going to save up for one of those." For the most part I rarely hear those types of comments from local folks who stumble accros my work. Fortunatley, there are enough folks in this world who do appreciate quality and art that I can make a living.

Enough ranting,
Ray's going back to work.

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray,

Your so right! Too many artists undervalue their work because "friends & family" still think of you as the "snot-nosed" little kid they remember, not the adult artist one has become. And because, as you said, most people have no appreciation of what it takes in time and talent to create these true works of art. Nor do most of them want to learn, which is far more troubling to me. I've been more lucky than most, I was raised in a family that encouraged the arts along with the sciences, so I got the best of both worlds. At least there are some individuals with the knowledge and desire to collect the best work available and these "patrons" are being served well now. For I believe that there is more truly fine engraving being done today, than in any time in the past, past grand masters included!

Please post a picture of this new knife on the forum when it's completed, we would love to see it!

Mark

Abigail

Administrator
I remember the first time Sam and I met and had a conversation. It was in a coffee shop immediately after I got down from the little stage where I sang a few tunes with my brother. The conversation was pleasant and light...a quick "getting to know you" conversation, and ofcourse I asked him what his occupation was. I'm sure I had that same blank stare that many of you experience when you try to explain what it is you do.
I was never 'into' jewelry really, and doubt that I had ever even laid eyes on a gun or knife with exhibition grade engraving, so yes, I was clueless!
Now, when we meet new people, and they ask Sam the 'what do you do" question...I recognize the same look I had. Sometimes he explains, and sometimes I think he just flat doesn't feel like it. LOL
However, many of my friends are now 'enlightened' like I am, and have grown to have an appreciation of the art you guys are sharing.
Mosty, we find humor in most things, so when people ask me what my husband does, sometimes I am apt to say "he whittles stuff" and on the same note, when people ask Sam what it is that I do, he answers "she bends people".
Incidently, a few years after we met, Sam took me back to that same coffee shop, in the exact same spot we had our first conversation, and asked me to marry him! Maybe sometimes blank stares can be appealing?
Cheers!
Abigail

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"A FEW YEARS AFTER WE MET"! What in the world took him so long! Heck, we've all seen your obvious unique qualities, just from reading this forum. What was Sam thinking, waiting so long?

Mark

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam's just like every other engraver. He does good work but it takes him forever to get it done.:D

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Sam seems like a happy guy, looks like he made the right choice. With him as absorb with engraving as he is, I can see that it might take him a year. Do you have to remind him to eat once in a while?

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds like a movie Abi. The lonely misfit engraver sitting in a dimly lit coffee shop and the beautiful singer sweeps him off his feet.
May you two have another 100 years together.
Mike

Abigail

Administrator
Guys,
Thank you for all your kind words. You really make a girl's day!
Doc Mark: Maybe it was two years...not three. Seemed like forever. I couldn't wait to marry him!

Ray: I tell ya, he doesn't make quick decisions about anything. As far as purchases, he does research like crazy....And his engraving designs, I think he thinks about them and plans them in his sleep, too.

Jim: Forget to eat?!?!? I couldn't marry anyone that would forget to eat?!?!? :D

Mike: It does sound like a movie, doesn't it. The funny thing is, I don't think he approached to me to flirt. He thought I was married to the guy I was singing with....who is my brother! LOL Actually, some people may say that in the area where we live, that's not really a stretch! LOL;)

And, back to the topic......It does take some study and some background to appreciate the art that you guys share. There are many many people that remain 'uninformed'. I think it is awesome that ya'll are pressing forward and making this a more popular artform and more accessible. Does that make sense?

Cheers!
Abigail

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I like the imagery Martin. But a "Gold-shooting-tattooer" is what I think I'd like.
I've thought of jewellery sort of that way. You can change a bracelet to get a new design,
but ink is forever.

Sponsors