Different kind of topic - Ailments from our craft

Aflaaak

Hi,
I've only made a couple posts since joining, but enjoyed reading all the great info and seeing the pictures of the fantastic work you all do.

I've been a silversmith for 20 years now, and engraving on an intermitent basis for the last 7 or so. I never thought about the wear and tear on my body, but have recently developed some potentially serious problems, and wondeded what if any of you have as well. Some are related to just generally getting older, though I didn't thing 44 was the time I'd start falling apart! The thing that's really bugging me is Ulnar nerve damage in my right elbow (entrapment). I get numbness or dullness in my two smallest fingers. Since passive therapies (like nerve-type medication)haven't really helped, my orthopedist said the only real treatment is to move the nerve (yikes!). I have also read Cortisone may help, but my doctor didn't mention it the last time I saw him. Have any of you had this problem (and dilemma)?
Many thanks, and Happy New Year!

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My biggest fear is rheumatoid arthritis. My mother has it bad as did her mother and from what I understand it is genetic. I am already starting feel pain in my shoulder joints which is where mom's started.

I do have to say however I do not think that has as much to do with engraving as much as it does a genetic predisposition and lack of real exercise on my part. I can see it affecting my engraving in the future if it gets as bad as my mother's has.

Ray

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yes, I have had the elbow release surgeries - on both right and left sides. It was explained to me that the track the nerve lay in was "routed out" where it was impinging on the nerve... I assume with something like a ball bur?:)

Worked well for about 15 years. Here of late, the problem has returned.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have had the nerve in my left elbow moved and have had no further problems so far about 8 yrs, Much better than the discomfort and pain from before. Good luck Dave

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Ulnar nerve problems

I have ulnar nerve problems too. I also have some pretty bad back injuries. When I was working, I did a lot of driving, and I had the habit of kind of leaning my elbows on the armrest, console, etc.. This made things a lot worse! The numbness got so bad I could cut or burn the last two fingers and not know it. I am a more than a little afraid to have the surgery. From my back, I found out that after I had one operation, scar tissue would form. Then they would go in and cut that tissue out with a tiny wire-like tool. My wife is a physical therapist's assistant, and she said I should have the surgery. I keep telling her that I'll get them fixed when I get the back straightened out. I'm afraid that maybe 5 years down the road, the problem will come back. Try not to rest your elbows on hard things, that helped me.
Good luck,
pappy
p.s.- I am 45 years old, but I feel like I am 75!

JTR

Working as a ships engineer, I used to carry a small cresent wrench and a screwdriver in my back pocket as sort of an all purpose tool box,,, combo wrench, hammer, chisel, prybar, etc.
After doing this for quite some time, my right hip started to hurt in the evenings. Great, I thought, arthritis already, so I quite carrying my mini-toolbox. And the pain disappeared!
So, true, maybe I was sitting on my rear too much, but it also says that be changing the way you do things, the way you sit or stand, might well have something to do with different pains.
Changing the way I worked a little sure took the pain out of my rear!
John

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My first problem was starvation. After I got used to that everything else kind of fell into place! I have since worked myself into a position to be able to eat on a regular basis (something I tend to like!)

Weldon

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Like many others, I use Glucosamine Sulfate for my aching joints.
Exercise is good medicine, as well. However, I don't have the self-discipline required.
Stephen

Aflaaak

My biggest fear is rheumatoid arthritis. My mother has it bad as did her mother and from what I understand it is genetic. I am already starting feel pain in my shoulder joints which is where mom's started.

I do have to say however I do not think that has as much to do with engraving as much as it does a genetic predisposition and lack of real exercise on my part. I can see it affecting my engraving in the future if it gets as bad as my mother's has.

Ray
Hi Ray,
Sorry to hear about your arthritis. My wife (44 yrs old) has it too, bad in her wrist. I just bought her an electric jar opener because she is having touble with things like that. It too runs in her family, not a "wear and tear" type cause.

Aflaaak

Working as a ships engineer, I used to carry a small cresent wrench and a screwdriver in my back pocket as sort of an all purpose tool box,,, combo wrench, hammer, chisel, prybar, etc.
After doing this for quite some time, my right hip started to hurt in the evenings. Great, I thought, arthritis already, so I quite carrying my mini-toolbox. And the pain disappeared!
So, true, maybe I was sitting on my rear too much, but it also says that be changing the way you do things, the way you sit or stand, might well have something to do with different pains.
Changing the way I worked a little sure took the pain out of my rear!
John
Hi John,
I've never in my life thought so much about how I do everything as I am now, trying to do everything I can to avoid surgery. I just don't know if it's too late.

Aflaaak

I have had the nerve in my left elbow moved and have had no further problems so far about 8 yrs, Much better than the discomfort and pain from before. Good luck Dave

Hi Dave,
How damaged was your nerve, how long did you wait before you opted for surgery? How long before you could get back to work?

Aflaaak

Yes, I have had the elbow release surgeries - on both right and left sides. It was explained to me that the track the nerve lay in was "routed out" where it was impinging on the nerve... I assume with something like a ball bur?:)

Worked well for about 15 years. Here of late, the problem has returned.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
Hi Brian,
Did they move your ulnar nerve, or just "unstick" it? How was recovery?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
To tell you the truth... I don't know! Don't remember anyone talking about moving it...

I've had way too many surgeries over the years. 14 MAJOR surgeries... and these were just the minor ones, along with the carpal tunnels (5 of those), that I don't even count.:)

Maybe too many anesthesias over the years have affected my memory?

Brian

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
Luckily, I ve been able to avoid the setters elbow and tunnel
carpel because I really didn't do much setting before
I got tooled up with a Gravermax.

My age has caught up to me. I was diagnosed with mild
diabètes which has played havoc with my eyes.
My persciption change dramically just before Christmas.
Oh great. Now what? So I tried different cheaters to find out
what would happen. 1.50 diopter reading glasses now serve
as my driving glasses. 1.75 Diopter I use for middle
distances. Close up and reading is now 3.25 Diopters.
I use to use 1.75 for close and reading. This all happen
in less than two weeks. Thank goodness things have calmed
down and I seemed to have settled into something semi
permanent. Thank God, for the microscopes at all my
benches. They should allow me to strech my carreer
for another 25 years. I would suggest if your health has
changed, don't panic. You just have to adapted the way
you work. New technique or hire younger hands to do
some of the drone work.

Jim

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no longer bothers me: years ago i used to hold a graver with a "death grip" for long times. it got so that i couldn't release my grip on the graver. i would have to take my left hand and open the fingers of my right hand to release the graver. as i began to rely more on the gravermeister, and less on the push graver, the problem went away. i also think using the gravermeister taught me to use less of a squeeze force when doing push work.

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Well, Aflaaak, glad you brought this up. I started getting numbness in the little and ring fingers of my right hand and have been trying to figure it out. I had a pinched nerve in my neck just before this started, I also had been doing a little more engraving than usual and tried placing my elbow on a resting. I'll have to look into the ulnar nerve possibility. Thanks

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Jim, I've been diabetic since I was a child, check your sugars, if they start running high your perscription will change do to the strain on the back of your eye but once you you get them leveled out it will go back.

hiloboy

Well i have arthritis in both thumbs.. and they want to do some cutting. but i just don't know how long it will take to get back to work if ever and will my hands be the same.. for me i need to eat. this is all i know. right now i have went with the cortisone shots...and its good for a month or so..

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I remember the nerve operation was called a transposition so the doc moved it some. Almost instant relief and not too long a recovery. Do have a 4 inch or so scar on my old elbow, so I wont be impressing any women:rolleyes: Also been down the carpal tunnel road and operations works for that also. I feel like the poster boy for the orthopedic surgons, But I think Brian has me beat:eek:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mike,
That's what I doing, now it's past Christmas and I can take off a couple of days.
You young engravers, there no time to waste. Use it while you got it.
Jim

Latest posts

Sponsors