Digital Microscope camera or Stereo microscope

Foxjewel

Hello,
I'm getting ready to buy a scope. I am thinking that having a digital camera scope would reduce eye fatigue as well as provide freedom when sitting for a long period of time instead of being so stringently "tied" to a microscope.

Does anyone use a digital microscope camera with live-viewing instead of a typical stereo microscope? If so, what do you use and what is the slowest FPS (frames per second) that one can use without a noticeable or problematic delay from hand to eye?

I am just getting started, and I would really like to say under $700, but not sure if that is even possible. Right now I am looking at a Trinocular scope… AmScope and adding a camera… and am overwhelmed with all the options.
If you look at this one.. I really like this setup… but not sure about the quality of the microscope, I’ve never heard of this brand. If I get a trinocular scope, I DO like that there is a screen just above the scope… so I am leaning toward this one. https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Scientific-VS-3FZ-IFR07-RET11-6-Trinocular-Magnification/dp/B01M0CI0O5

But… I really like the idea of a solitary scope like a Dino-Lite but am not sure if there would be enough working distance…as well as I like light rings and they don’t seem to be an option, nor the ability to add a Barlow lens.
I THINK I’d really like to get a set up like this…
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-...ml?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.4.6ce5344aEo91S8

but I cannot find something here in the US. I’m too afraid to take a chance to get something so expensive from Aliexpress. – Getting a rolling pin, or some cooking item or tool from there…I don’t mind…but a scope or anything expensive… we’ll I just don’t like the idea.

Can anyone give me some insight? Or share your personal experiences with me about these…or should I just stick with a standard stereo microscope? If my assumptions are way off base, please tell me that as well! I welcome any feedback and information.

Thanks in advance for reading.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Mr. Foxjewel, I was thinking the same thing when I started, amscopes are acceptable, stand,and scope, 725-850. I waited and picked up a nice Meiji x5 on ebay and then bought a stand from amscope, just make sure the mounting is correct. 175.00+free shipping. And I am off and running!!!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Foxjewel.
Try the Cafe forum search button.
There is a ton of input on scopes.
Most find that you loose the 3-D touch when trying to engrave from a monitor.
Best of luck with your scope search.

Foxjewel

Hi John B. I thought this was the Cafe forum... I'm new at all of this. I'll search around and see what I can find. Although I've been a "member" for years, I've not been here enough to figure it all out and am finally getting an opportunity to get started in engraving.

Foxjewel

Thank you both, John and Papart1, for your input. I just decided to jump in the deep end and picked up a used Meiji EMZ-10 stereo, no stand but will order one. I decided against the trinocular scope until "live viewing" cameras get better. I appreciate what you shared! Happy engraving to you both! :)

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Best of luck and enjoy your Meiji scope.
If you can get to the FEGA show in Las Vegas you can get a lot of input on your scope use from the tool companies demonstrating there.

Sponsors