Help, please: DIY Jeweler's Bench

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
The setup I currently have is causing serious back issues for me so I'm planning on building a jeweler's bench today. I use a microscope with my engraving. Any tips? Anyone have builds they can show for inspiration?
Thanks for the space!

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
I bought the adjustable height GRS Satellite turntable platform to save my back. I first set my scope to fit me and my chair, and then I brought the turntable to the right height. One other change that I made was to use a 0.50 lens instead of the standard 0.63 lens on my scope. That gave me a little wider view (I rarely use the closest view from the scope) and a couple of inches of focal distance extra between the scope and the work. That brought my hands down a little to just a perfect sweet spot. By doing all that, I got perfect engraving height without having to fiddle with a table.

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
Allen, I have the .5 lens. My work bench Currently is up to 46" which is just too tall for my short stature. I'm thinking on building a jeweler's bench with the half circle cut out this weekend.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my advice, fwiw, build one larger than you think you will need. comfort while working is priority. 8 hours or more at the bench will take a toll. think of how you work, and take time to build the bench "around you".

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
I've got microscope in a comfy position. Going to build a adjustable vise stand and see if that makes it better with my current bench. Thanks everyone for your help.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i switched from optivisor to microscope and that has had a vast improvement on my back and neck pain because I would no longer be leaning over my work. I use I Leica which allows the eyepiece to be raised and lowered without adjusting the distance to the workpiece... which goes just one step further to keeping a good posture (its not the only answer tho- raising and lowering your ball vise, or raising and lowering your chair is only fractionally more inconvenient.
My engraving bench and my jewellers bench are two separate stations. My jewellery bench top is just below my shoulder height. My mentor told me that my pin should be 9 inches from the top of my nose.. I think he may have had a shorter nose than me tho, because 7” seems the ticket for me.
Getting the right height for your comfort is pretty important tho. I built a bench off my old bench except accidentally made it an inch and a half taller. Six months in I had actually pretty serious shoulder problems. Eight months of therapy and a move back to my old shabby bench and I was back in fighting shape. But I was shocked by what a difference an inch and a half made.

BCan

Hello! Here is what I found to be an inexpensive alternative to obtaining or building a beginner's bench. An old Typewriter desk, converted to an engraving bench.

These old oak desks are solid and seem to be fairly ubiquitous, (and inexpensive), since they hold little or no antique value. This idea is similar to the larger desk that is owned by member R. Quecke, (and shown on another thread page).

The area where the typewriter was originally located, was simply reinforced with 2x4's and a plywood shelf, (which can be raised or lowered), and installed at a desirable height. I then added an aluminum tray, (which slides in and out), to catch metal chips. Old Typewriter Desk.jpg Typewriter Desk conversion 01.jpg Typewriter Desk Conversion 02.jpg Typewriter Desk Conversion 03.jpg The open area under the platform (shelf), allows freedom of movement over and around the vise.