Does fine silver = easy job?

beginnerEngraver

wow.png

Hello everyone, I am a beginner engraver. Looking to buy pneumatic tools (top shelf such as Lindsay or GRS). I am thinking that with these tools and metal as soft as Silver, I will be able to engrave the above. I can do accurate design transfer.

I feel as if I am setting myself up for disappointment and that the above is not an easy job. What do you think? Will buying a high end tool + soft metal result in easier time to achieve above quality?

Thank you for your inputs.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
I believe your equation „high end tool + soft metal“ lacks the years of practise required to cut the pattern in good and even quality… The pattern is definitely not an easy one. Many say Fine Silver is not easy to engrave. I cut only Argentium which is a good deal harder.

I do not want to dicourage You. Just dont underestimate the time and effort required to master the tools and techniques.

Cheers

Ralf

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I kinda thought the same along those lines with copper and brass......................................

monk

Staff member
if, as you say you are a beginner, crawl, stumble, walk, then run. your expertise in layout/'transfer is a big plus. you are cheating yerself by not learning the basic cuts before attempting the more complex. without good graver control and sharpening techniques you'll likely be creating a lot of silver scrap. get a grip on copper first. it cuts pretty much like silver & way cheaper to learn on. jmho

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The beading is probably a bead roller..
easy is not the right word, but fine silver is very soft and consistent. To the point that I think that you’d be better off without a pneumatic tool, and just hand pushing...
Outside of the expense, I think it would be a great thing to practice with... build up control without having to push too hard.. depending on what you are making, fine silver is super soft, and will dent easily.

allan621

This is a watch dial for a German custom watch company. So imagine it the size of a standard watch dial. Then look at the outside rim and see the stars which are raised up since they cast a shadow. Then the stars in the dial itself look recessed without the hint of a tool mark.

I'm thinking this was laid out in a CNC machine before the company's master engraver started working on it. And basically was left with engraving the letters in the panels. I mean if I was cutting this piece my tool would be polished to show bright cutting. You can't polish after this because it would wear down the patterns considerably especially if its silver. Now it could be white gold which is a harder metal than silver but even that would look worn after polishing. It looks like it was sand blasted with an extremely fine grit since the background of the stars and the raised sections have the same finish. The light playing off the raised sections give it a different look but to me it looks all the same.

Like SamW , I've also been engraving about 50 years and doing this kind of work on jewelry and even I would not dream of doing this by hand. And if engravers who have done this work for decades can't imagine doing this by hand, then it wasn't.

Allan

Last edited:

T.G.III

Yes, practice cutting on copper, and when you are confident with it know that fine silver is much softer, Argentium is about the same as copper.

Sponsors