Draw File

Travis_UT

Can anybody recommend a draw file like the one used by Mike in his tutorial? I looked at Brownells site and did not see one like Mike had in his tutorial. I contacted Brownells but have not had a response. I have not used a draw file before so I don't really know what I am looking for but I know it's not an old file from grandpa's tool box. The inlay I have been doing has been with copper and I used sandpaper and a wood block to level it out. I would like to start learing how to use a draw file. Thanks in advance.

https://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1893

Aventuraal

I believe that Brownell's used to carry them, but no longer. Nor have I found them on any industrial supplier's site I've checked, at least not as a "draw file"....... As a possible substitute, you can look at the chain saw sharpening file you can find at Lowes or Home Depot. The "brand name" is Oregon, and they are in the aisle with the chain saws and parts, not the tools area(s). The ones I have here (in Florida) are Swiss made, marked as "0" at the tang (hopefully, a #0 Swiss pattern cut); they are single cut, about 3/4" wide and about 8" long. They are packed with a sharpening guide for the saw chain. And are pretty cheap, to boot. I have used mine for all sorts of things, and they are still going strong. Just keep a light hand, card them regularly, and chalk them well to keep the pinning down. I would hazard a guess that just about any fine, single cut file would give the same results.

Aventuraal

If there is a McMaster nearer to you, check their listings for hand files, and you will fine Swiss pattern files as well.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You need a lot of practice to use files properl, and a draw file is very difficult to master, MTC YMMV

pblack

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I think 'draw filing' if more a technique and not a specific type of file. Brownells might have sold one that was best for that technique. From what I just googled, looks like it's a fine single cut mill or flat file (not sure what the difference is between the two). https://technologystudent.com/equip1/hfile1.htm

I've seen other inlay demos that talk about stoning the gold. Tira Mitchell offers some specifically for use with gold inlay.

I've never done inlay, not there yet in my engraving and jewelry journey, so take my 2 cents with a grain of salt.

papart1

I learned on a Nickelson 0 single cut mill file.................you can really remove a lot of stock, but as Mr. Dave said, gotta be really careful and get a guiding hand to demo it for you

T.G.III

When in the process of draw filing you'll know when you've got the technique correct when you're removing long hair like strands of metal from the surface.

Also, if you are using short pulls on the file over a longer section of material you can quickly dig yourself into a hole.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I always raise the file on the back stroke barely just off the surface. When you start on a 42in octagon barrel you don't want to do the math I did 28ft if you do them all.

silvermon

Can anybody recommend a draw file like the one used by Mike in his tutorial? I looked at Brownells site and did not see one like Mike had in his tutorial. I contacted Brownells but have not had a response. I have not used a draw file before so I don't really know what I am looking for but I know it's not an old file from grandpa's tool box. The inlay I have been doing has been with copper and I used sandpaper and a wood block to level it out. I would like to start learing how to use a draw file. Thanks in advance.

https://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1893

Latest posts

Sponsors