Critique Request Drawing Leaves

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
I have been practiceing my leaves and trying to get the flow and structre better, anyway heres a drawing any advice would be greatly appercaited.
Thanks for lookin.
Steve

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
STEVE: I've circled some problem areas in red, which are the first things that jump out at me. When a leaf splits, the split should follow the flow and growth of the leaf. This will certainly make your shading life easier and add grace to the design. Yours tend to bend in a bit much. If you shade your scroll per your drawing those splits won't bother you much (they're still at an awkward angle though), but if you do more of a traditional long-line shading they will be in the way. Actually I hope you will consider a different shading approach than you have illustrated as it will look much, much better and allow you to achieve light, grey, and dark areas. If you shade as-is, I'm afraid it's going to look a bit flat.

Your scroll doesn't follow the correct proportional spiral, but we're talking leaves here. You might want to address that in your next drawing.

What you've drawn is a very workable design, and with a few tweaks it'll look great! / ~Sam

Attachments

• STEVE223.jpg
    STEVE223.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 220

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam i see exctaly what you are saying! Ill tweak the leaves and shading. Thank you for the response

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Thankyou Sam, it is these small, somewhat obvious (to those who know) things that are pointed out that are the best learning devices.
Well done Steve for posting your effort , i have learned from it and i expect many more will :thumbs up:
I did notice the curve of the scroll was abit off at the centre....
Great that you are actually practicing drawing, keep at it.