Egraving on a gun barrel ''Help''

Raul Hinz

I am staring engraving on a barrel and looking for help , information or tips on how to? I am engraving a full size 45 and a miniature 45 and have left the barrel for last and I will have to engrave theme.
I will be thankful for information:confused: :confused:

Raul Hinz

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Raul, I'm not sure what you are looking for. I find that it is easier to make a paper pattern of the area to be engraved and then draw any scroll design on the paper while flat. I then make a transfer for putting the design on the barrel. A lot easier getting the scroll to look right than trying to draw it on the curved barrel. I also find it easier to remove the barrel (revolver or long gun) from the action to work on it, especially the long guns. If you don't know how to remove the barrel, then try to find a local gunsmith to help. S

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you're engraving the kind of "45" i'm thinking of, you're not actually engraving the barrel, you're engraving the slide. this is cake work, unless it might be of stainless. a word of caution: when engaging the slide in your vise, be sure to put a full size piece of hardwood inside the slide. it's quite possible to overtighten on these and this can cause real problems later when reassembling the gun. sam is right on about the paper pattern. do at least the primary portion of the scroll on the paper for transfer. if it's good on the paper, it will be good on the gun. i like direct layout, but it leaves you much more prone to cuttin bad stuff ! mistakes on paper are so much easier to correct than mistakes in steel !

Raul Hinz

Sam and monk thanks for your response it is clear that droning in paper is number one and protection is number two , the guns S A 45 and the full size is stainless and the mini is still. Raul:) :)