eight cylinder

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This was Pitted, small but deep. Looks pretty decent now. It is ready for layout. Thanks

Attachments

• 20190610_151726.jpg
    20190610_151726.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 147

monk

Staff member
is this yer first cylinder? if so, i'd advise getting a 2" or so dia pipe coupler to give it a whack. cylinders are sort of odd to work at first. at times you have to continually adjust your wrist, and then fade into flat mode, then back again when cutting scrolls. if you try using a coupler, be sure to prepare the metal to be smooth and free of pits.
getting comfortable doing cylinders will prepare you for colt recoil shiellds and loading gates.

papart1

Thanks Mr. Monk........and yup, its my first. I going to us a "master plate" like Mike Dubber uses after I get the layout and curvature dimentions correct. I'm hoping it will be exceptable to the group. paps

Last edited:

papart1

Also thanks for tip on the coupler......I WILL do that before screwing up the real thing

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
I picked up one of the practice Barrels from GRS, Still waiting for the right time to tackle it, Thought about it a few times but not yet, Think I still need more Practice,, Good luck, Cant wait to see it when its done.

papart1

Mr. Monk suggested the coupler.........I have to check my pipe fittings and get something close to 1.5 o.d. and rainch it up for practice, this cyl.is 1.530 o.d. so I'm thinkin something like a 1-1/4 coupling, might even have some solid stock in the machine shop.

papart1

,625- .675 is the stock for barrel practice.....close enough

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
I know that i mentioned the practice cylinder i got from GRS ,just for thought it was $24 +or- .With that you have all the details of the cylender.shy of the chamber holes and the hole up the middle you would think it was real. A tiny bit pricy for practice but mught be worth it in this case.

monk

Staff member
Mr. Monk suggested the coupler.........I have to check my pipe fittings and get something close to 1.5 o.d. and rainch it up for practice, this cyl.is 1.530 o.d. so I'm thinkin something like a 1-1/4 coupling, might even have some solid stock in the machine shop.
to practice for a compound curve ( recoil shield) get a pipe elbow and prep it. this will give you a taste for doing compound curves.

papart1

to practice for a compound curve ( recoil shield) get a pipe elbow and prep it. this will give you a taste for doing compound curves.
Monk....do you use all the fancy gear? on your barrels/cylinders please? Lindsay cylinder fixture and the barrel fixture originating from Mike Dub?

monk

Staff member
i no longer am able to do guns. when i was doing them, i used only contraptions i cobbled together. my fave was a 45 slide holder i made.out of a very hard wood. it allowed complete rotation of the slide. by now, the termites may have eaten it.
there's nothing wrong with the store-bought toys. i never found fault with all the gadgetry i made. they all worked, so no complaints from me. some say the time spent making your own, detracts from practice time, as well as time spent earning money with engraving. i rarely watch tv, so there's ample time for me to invent stuff without hurting my ability to earn cash. ymmv

papart1

I am the same way sir........pretty much if I can't make it, it's not needed. The only things I have are a vise of course and Steve's Artisan, what is YMMV please?

Sponsors