Critique Request English Fine Scroll Practice

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Hope all are well and safe.

I just finished a practice piece for English Fine Scroll based on Marcus Hunt's demonstration piece so I could make a direct comparison. I'd appreciate any comments folks here would care to make.
What I observed of my own efforts was:
1. Scrolls often too squished
2. Scrolls often failed to touch each other (partly I didn't set myself up for graver tip visibility adequately). I tried some correction, but that leaves marks.
3. Inside work (leaves / tendrils too angular..tips are pointed not round..probably need a higher angle graver face angle and more flexible graver)
4. Shading isn't delicate enough and too linear.

Thanks
Jeremy

Attachments

• 20200723_174616.jpg
    20200723_174616.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 20200723_174247.jpg
    20200723_174247.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 197

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my eyes tell me i like it. a particular vision problem i have does not let me focus on the individual elements. what happens is my one eye "jumps" or twitches like crazy on this type of work.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
heck Monk..........I should post more stuff then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The english rose and scroll looks pretty good to my eyes also. tfs. paps

Tony Miele

Hope all are well and safe.

I just finished a practice piece for English Fine Scroll based on Marcus Hunt's demonstration piece so I could make a direct comparison. I'd appreciate any comments folks here would care to make.
What I observed of my own efforts was:
1. Scrolls often too squished
2. Scrolls often failed to touch each other (partly I didn't set myself up for graver tip visibility adequately). I tried some correction, but that leaves marks.
3. Inside work (leaves / tendrils too angular..tips are pointed not round..probably need a higher angle graver face angle and more flexible graver)
4. Shading isn't delicate enough and too linear.

Thanks
Jeremy
Looks great!

JJ Roberts

I've found standing over the work when cutting the back bones of the scrolls I get nice round back bones with no flat or elbows with power assist or hammer & chisel. Marcus wrote a wonderful book on the subject of fine English scrolls. J.J.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Jeremy, as I said, you need a do over.
Cut a new practice plate with the same design.
Work on correcting the faults that you so wisely pointed out yourself.
And include a little more research of the outside work this time.
Be sure to date and keep each plate to remember and demonstrate your progress.
All in all, mistakes and elbows included, you made a good first effort.

Last edited:

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I agree, generally it is a good start. In addition to the other observations I was curious about the backbone design. Do you have a picture of just that portion without the leaves? I tried to trace your engraved backbone and found a few questionable areas in red. But I am not an English scroll expert so I will defer to others about what is good or correct.

Dan

Attachments

• 7ACD32EB-C913-4FF7-978F-096EBEAAEFBE.jpeg
    7ACD32EB-C913-4FF7-978F-096EBEAAEFBE.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 653392A0-4B51-4CC5-A305-AC4CCB108E92.jpeg
    653392A0-4B51-4CC5-A305-AC4CCB108E92.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 70

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Be sure to date and keep each plate to remember and demonstrate your progress.
All in all, mistakes and elbows included, you made a good first effort.
John
Thanks
Yes I am dating pieces. This one is actually worse than 1 from over a year ago when I was in more practice..at least from the inside work perspective. Not to blame my tools ...but I think a secondary issue is I changed graver geometry too from that recommended by Marcus ( too lazy).
Jeremy

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you're doing fine, Jeremy. any deficiencies at this point are less a matter of design and more of your engraving skills needing to catch up. with a lot of practice, that will come. as you become a better engraver you'll find your designs will improve, too. it's a long, slow process. try to enjoy the journey without worrying too much about the destination.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
For those who have not noticed...at the upper left of the forum first page you will see page numbers 1,2,3...982. Page 982 goes back to Nov '06 which is two months before my join date. Lots of threads/info accumulated in that 982 pages of threads/14 years of forum interaction!