Announcement: Engrave-In Info After the Blade Show

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am getting some e-mails wanting to know what the Engrave-In is and who can come. This is quick re-write of the orginial invite several years ago that I have changed significant things like dates.

Beginners, Experts, Wannabes, Patrons, Customers if you are interested in engraving, please come. Spouses and or significant others of any of the above are also welcome. We will have engraving systems from GRS, Ngraver, and Lindsay set up for people to try. My bench and Ray Covers will be set up to observe and try. I will have some of my engraved items that I have collected from around the world on display for discussion as well as scroll samples from various art forms. We will have smoked chicken dinner on the grounds for lunch on Monday. That’s worth coming for believe me. If you want to bring something to eat that’s fine, or just bring yourself that’s fine too.

Plans are really swinging for this event on May 30-June 2nd. Party will start Sunday afternoon the 1rst as people get up here from the Blade show , with campfire and conversation under the stars. There is picking and grinning for those that want to bring their instruments or jsut their voices. Monday morning, not too early depending on how late the previous night went we will have some short seminars put on by myself , Amayak Stepanyan, Kurt Horvath and maybe a suprise speaker.

We will have some short seminars, one to two hours in length, with time for questions. Probably we will do two before lunch and two after.

Of course, there will lots of unstructured time to mingle, ask questions, try techniques. BRING YOUR STUFF, bring your tools, bring your work, bring your questions… BRING YOUR BENCH if you want . I would love to have 3 or 4 benches set up besides mine and Ray’s . This is an Engrave-In…. so bring your stuff to engrave if you can.

Some beautiful views here as well, a 10 minute walk will bring you the bluffs on our property, where you can see some 70 mile vistas. Another bonus, if you want to try a world class airgun or two, we can let you give that a whirl as well.

For the wives in attendance, maybe Rhonda will consider new applicants for WOSEM, Wives Of Self-Employed Men, a club she formed some years ago when three of us guys, a wood carver, a knifemaker and myself, all went into the backyard to work everyday while the wives all drove an hour to work each day. Of course, Rhonda has long since joined the self-employed category, but believe me she still has much to say in this regard, especially on the male side….

Now I do need to folks to start RSVP,ing to my e-mail, my first name at pilkguns dot come or you can PM off the Engraver’s Café.

known attendee’s
Ray Cover
Rachel Cover
Kim Cover
Nathan Dickerson
Mark Simpson
Amayak Stepanyan
Kurt Horvath
Steve Lindsay
Jerry and Joan Seymour + 4
Roger Bleile
Carl Beile
Chris Malouf
Viljo Marrandi
John Hise and Ginger
Yves Halliburton
Adolph Speigelhalter
Jim Hall +5
Ian Morrison
Kerry Bogan and wife
Fred Marrinan
CJ Allan
Bryan Clary
Paul and Gloria Hamler
Gordon Mayhew
Tim Adlam
Tim Wells
Don Cowles
KC Steve
Joe Mason
Gail Meyer
Mike Dubber
Tex Skow
Simon Lytton
Gail Meyer
Jim Parker and Celeste
David Gruber
Don Cowles
Josiah Hanley
Jamie Wilcox
Ron Landis
John Hill
Carl Wallace
Doug Sutherland
Isaac Kornhauser
Bill and Mary Moody
Mamoru Shigeno
Toshiaki Michinaka
Yoshimasa Aida
Tim and Viv Halloran
Sam Marsh
Al Frisillow
Eric and Terry Watson
Peter Elovich
Ellis Sawyer
Greg Neeley
Mike Fennell
Carl Wallace

HOTEL INFO, we have a Days Inn 931-924-2900, Best Western/Smokehouse 931-924-2091, American Eagle Inn 931-924-8880 right now we are calling around trying to get a special rate at one of them...

it seems that the American Eagle is probably the best bang for the dollar right now... its 69 a night, and is less than a year old, and is in walking distance to a liquor store and McDonalds, depending on where your interests like. They said they would give us a discount if there was 5 or more rooms rented.

MOTOR HOMES, the Smokehouse/ Best Western 931-924-2091 has big full service campground. We actually lived there for 6 months, I had my engraving shop set in on one camping trailer and Rhonda and I were living in the second one, while we were looking for what became this property.

CAMPING, we live on 81 acres, so if you want to bring a camper, or pitch a tent, thats fine. We can park 40 feet rigs along the powerline coming in. No hookups though sorry.

KIDS, yes they can come too if you like, I have an 13 year old and 15 year old, with woods and creeks, with snakes,lizards and frogs as well as a horse or two so if you have kids and are so inclined, we will try to keep them out of your hair. Also, we have lots of smaller kids playing in the sandpiles.

COSTS.... right now it's free. If you want to make a contribution to food fund or something like that at the end, thats up to you.

This is going to be as good or better than a FEGA show get together, so make your plans now.

Last edited:

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Scott,
Ray Cover ask if I would bring a Mantis Scope for him to check out, so we will have one for everyone to try...

Joan and I will bring some Florida seafood, don't know what yet, she and Rhonda can discuss what may be needed...
Looks like a bigger group this year so the pot is getting bigger, oh boy...

If anyone has fixing from where you are from that some of us don't get were we are from bring it, wild game, snake, turtle, crawdads, shrimp or gator...
You gonna have a Great time, Garoontee...

Jerry

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Be Happy to set up a table like last years, to show motorcycle stuff-n-junk..........
and explain my ideas & methods of attack, and how I do it......
If ya want....

If not.......probably set it up anywayzzzzzz... :) :)

Lemme know......

.PS...For what it's worth.......

The American Eagle is a Good Hotel.
We stayed there last year, and will be staying there again this year.......
Also......Robin & Jzena will most likely not make it this year.
Robs will be in Cal, & Jzena will be having a baby in July...so she has to stay home with the dogs... :) :)

Last edited:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
CJ, I'm definitely one to be interested in MC stuff. As of last month I'm a happy owner of a Buell (a long-long dream come true) :). I'm thinking of prettying it up a little.

Viljo

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
CJ, I'm definitely one to be interested in MC stuff. As of last month I'm a happy owner of a Buell (a long-long dream come true) :). I'm thinking of prettying it up a little.

Viljo

I liked seeing your MC parts also CJ.

What year and model Buell did you get Viljo?

Peter

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
COOL. You should have a good time on that! I rode a couple of the late 90's models and they still needed some refining.

I hope to see more bikes at Scott's this year....mine included!:D

Peter

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
They failed to take that left turn at Albuquerque?

Might be.. but in that case the mistake was made about 10 times, 'cause that's how many Buells are in Estonia :)

So, CJ, enough bike enthusiasts will be there to justify you bringing along all the knowledge and engraved stuff!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts

In the old Bugs Bunny cartoons there was a long running joke where he'd be tunneling along underground and pop up, usually declaring he was at some beach only to find that he was far, far away. His muttered excuse was that he'd failed to take that left turn.

In many of those he's partnered with Daffy Duck as an animated version of the Bob Hope & Bing Crosby "On the Road" movies - an even older now obscure reference.

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
I have absolutely no idea what Bugs & Daffy have to do with this topic, but what the hell..it's the internet......

Viljo, and anyone else interested,
I'll be more than happy to show & tell you what little i know about dealing with motorcycle work.. :)

I'll set up a table with most of the things (along with other stuff) that were on display at the Clinton Presidential library from last Sept till this February....Had to send a couple pieces to the owners, but still have most of them on the original setup....

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott, Mary and I will be there. I won't be going to the Ukraine until July 17th.

Bill Moody

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am amazed and honored at the folks stepping up to do seminars this year.
We are going with a Tuesday schedule as well. Heres's a rough schedule of seminars, times subject to change depening on how the presenter's feel their presentations fit with each other. Amayak Stepanyan will demonstrate how to make a die, and we will have a press here to press out some of his engraving whatever he creates. Amayak for those that don't know him, is a Russian born engraver, who emigrated to the US a decade or so ago, and has beeen making a big splash in the custome knife world since then. In the afternoon, Carl Beile will demonstrate his deep sculpture techniques and I think he needs no introduction to readers of this forum.

Depending on the how the day runs, CJ Allen. will talk about motorcycle engraving tecniques in the late afternoon or early evening.

On Monday, Ron Landis, well known in coin circles for creating specialty coins at his own mint, as well doing some fantastic hobo nickels, will tell us about his experiences and techniques, some of which will overlap and contrast Amayak's techniques. As I understand, Amayak normally creates the male die first, while Ron cuts the female first. I am looking forward to learning the whys and wherefores of each method. Tuesday afternoon Carl Bleile will talk about his special bulino techniques. Somewhere in the mix, if some of the newer engravers would like me to do seminar on basic scroll layout and design, I think we can work that out as well.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Scott,

I intend to come this year and request permission to camp on your property, either in a tent or a cargo trailer. My hunting-camp trailer has gotten too heavy to pull

I'm looking forward to meeting you and everyone else. I'll even help Mike Dubber load the cannon if the ammunition doesn't object.

Mike Fennell

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Camping is fine Mike, right now I think we 3 motor homes, 3 tent trailers, and 2 folks camping in tents. Everybody else is wimping out at the motels.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
This is excellent news! For a long time I wanted to know and see how the dies are really done. Now we can see that live from the masters themselves, what a treat. Looks like all presenters will teach classes that are of most interest to me - sculpting, die making, motorcycle engraving (now that I have one) and bulino. Actually, before I thought that if Carl is present at Engrave-In I will ask him to do a little sculpting demo and I could tape it. Now it all works out even better :).

Christmas in June.

I am amazed and honored at the folks stepping up to do seminars this year.
We are going with a Tuesday schedule as well. Heres's a rough schedule of seminars, times subject to change depening on how the presenter's feel their presentations fit with each other. Amayak Stepanyan will demonstrate how to make a die, and we will have a press here to press out some of his engraving whatever he creates. Amayak for those that don't know him, is a Russian born engraver, who emigrated to the US a decade or so ago, and has beeen making a big splash in the custome knife world since then. In the afternoon, Carl Beile will demonstrate his deep sculpture techniques and I think he needs no introduction to readers of this forum.

Depending on the how the day runs, CJ Allen. will talk about motorcycle engraving tecniques in the late afternoon or early evening.

On Monday, Ron Landis, well known in coin circles for creating specialty coins at his own mint, as well doing some fantastic hobo nickels, will tell us about his experiences and techniques, some of which will overlap and contrast Amayak's techniques. As I understand, Amayak normally creates the male die first, while Ron cuts the female first. I am looking forward to learning the whys and wherefores of each method. Tuesday afternoon Carl Bleile will talk about his special bulino techniques. Somewhere in the mix, if some of the newer engravers would like me to do seminar on basic scroll layout and design, I think we can work that out as well.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Scott,

I have three fly rods almost finished. I am going to try and have those finished to display at the engrave in along with a bunch of castings.

I may be lucky enough to have a knife finished to bring along as well.

Ray

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Scott,

I just spoke to Tira at the American Eagle Motel while making my reservations, she was not aware of the discount on 5 rooms. She looked for a folder on it and could not find anything. She told me that they didn't usually give a discount on only 5 rooms. Anyway the rate is $69.95 plus tax, which sounds like a good deal to me since I live on the coast and the cheapest rooms are well over $100, some are up around the $300 range.

E. Sawyer

Scott,
My name is Ellis Sawyer, I have been reading about your engrave-in on this forum. I introduced the two prototype engraving vises at Ken Hursts engrave-in this past weekend. I was talking to Ray Cover this week and he graciously offered to take the vises to your event. After our conversation, I got to thinking "why should I miss one of the best engraving events of the year?" Thus, with your permission I would like to attend along with Greg, the machinest who made the prototype vises. I would like to carry a standard and low profile vise so the guys can see them, use them and make any suggestions they may have that might improve the design.
Thanks,
Ellis Sawyer
Greg Neeley

Latest posts

Sponsors