Engraved Africian Wart Hog Tusk

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
I have finished Engraving the first of 2 knives by Don Andrade The knives were commissioned by a local customer here in the Central Coast California who went on a African Safari Hunt and had knives made for the Tusks of one of the animals they got. The customer wanted the Tusk to be Hand Lettered as a memory of their trip. I have never Hand Engraved on bone and so I started to test out the possibility in my studio. I used a 90 degree engraver and then used Antique black to bring out the cuts. the following are a couple of shots of the work. I have included a picture of the knife and then how I laid out the Script Font w. chinese white and then drew in with my pencil the Script letters then I have included the finished Engraving.I also include a simple element between the lines let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Bill Bone Knife 1c.jpg
    Bill Bone Knife 1c.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Bill Bone Knife 1d.jpg
    Bill Bone Knife 1d.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Bill Bone Knife 1b.jpg
    Bill Bone Knife 1b.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Bill Bone Knife 1.jpg
    Bill Bone Knife 1.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 94

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think it's quite appropriate for this knife. it has a neat look to it, even tho the script isn't what one usually sees.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Monk I am glad you liked it.

As for the Script this is what the customer requested. To me this was an unusual request to hand engrave on bone However now that I have done it I do believe I am going to get more work from this job. I already heard from the knife maker and he was pleased enough that he has some other projects that he wants me to engrave. These next engraving projects are going to be real interesting again they will be out of the normal engraving.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i enjoy engraving the unusual stuff too. gives me way more satisfaction than the ordinary.

Latest posts

Sponsors