Engraved Harley Davidson Engine - pics

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi folks. I've pretty much got this thing done. I've been hermitizing in my underground, double-wide engraving studio/bunker building a new engine for my Harley. It's a new 80" Harley-Davidson Evolution with some top end mods: Heads ported, high flow valves, performance cam and the head gasket surfaces shaved for higher compression. Should give me close to 80HP and be reliable. I engraved and polished it. My intention was to just dress it up a bit and the more stuff I took off, the more I did. O.C.D.!! I didn't go all the way around the rocker-box covers since I still gotta engrave and chrome plate the exhaust .... the warm weather will have come and gone before ya know it.

I used a 120 graver, 45 flat, a rotary tool for metal removal and a #16 bead punch. The cylinders and heads are bright cut 360 degrees around. I lost count of the number of bead punches and bright cuts.

If anyone knows a good chrome plater and a good anodizer that is familiar with engraved motorcycle parts, I'd be much obliged. The guy I was using in California lost my S&S air cleaner cover. Boy I been having a lot of trouble with sending engraved stuff out lately (guns and bike stuff).

Thank-you for taking a look,:)

Chris

Attachments

• engine_done01a.jpg
    engine_done01a.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 277
  • engine_done02a.jpg
    engine_done02a.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 231
  • engine_done03a.jpg
    engine_done03a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 256

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Browns Plating in Paducah KY has been a quality plater of bike parts for at least 40 years......

Who were you using in CA...??

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That really looks good. After it's done you better watch where you park it or you'll lose more than an air cleaner. Hope you post the bike when you get it done. Good job.

Andrew Biggs

WOW Chris...............That's hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder you dissapeared for a while.

So how did you mount the engine in the vise :D :D :D

Love the barbed wire!!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was using CalTron Plating. They are really nice people and have done a good job in the past. Lately they are extremely busy and slow. I gotta call them constantly and that's not something I enjoy doing. This S&S air cleaner will probably show here one day but that's unacceptable.

Brown's certainly knows motorcycle parts. Holes don't get filled and gasket surfaces remain relatively free of plating material. About ten years ago I used them and they didn't triple plate. You could hold it next to triple plated stuff and see a noticeable difference in color. I don't know if that's changed since then. I may use Advance in Fort Worth Texas but I'd like to have more than one option.

Thanks for the info CJ,

---------------

Hi Mike, Hi Andrew. Thanks for the kind words guys. I had to buy a GRS Magna Magna Magna ... Magna block!!! I'll definitely get pics up when it's all together. Hopefully this thing'll start just fine. Maybe a few prayers to the great Goddess of Internal Combustion. I belong to Jesus but this engine belongs to her now!!

Last edited:

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work Chris. Bring it out to Reno this year. I did a lot of the same mechanical work on my Wide Glide a couple of years ago. Shaved heads, valve job, Andrews cam, all kinds of fun stuff.
We would love to see pics when she's all back together.

David

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Chris - That's pretty impressive. I like it!!!!!!
If I do another tear down on mine I'm going to need more time for the engraving.

Mike

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW...that is awesome. I'm sure it will draw a crowd wherever you go!

Hope to see some pictures when it is back together.

Peter

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Chris .... WOW!!!! , that look fantastic . I expect that the next time you stop by my shop you will be perched on top of that baby .. Ron p

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank-you again everyone.

Hey Ron, congrats on your new commission!! It's well deserved.

Hi Brian,

You've come to the rescue with exactly what I've been looking for. I've checked out their site and they do triple plate show chrome and lots of bike stuff. Those folks are 3 hours and 40 minutes away which means I can't be held hostage by a "ship and pray" shop.

I'll let you know how they work out.

I owe you one!!

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris.....I hope it can work out for you.CustomChrome has always treated me like family.
You are a few hours south of me. Swing by on your way to Grafton.-----With the bike, of course!

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Chris, you better not show that around or you will really have to hunker down. Probably won't ever hear from you again. Ha Ha. The tear down and put back together has to be as difficult as the engraving. I admire your determination. How many months have got in that project???

Very impressive!!!
Ron S

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris that is one good lookin evo. Thanks for sharing. How many hours do you have in the engraving?

Christiian you get me every time with your avatar!!

Latest posts

Sponsors