Engraved Holster

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
I got onto this forum by looking for a leathercraft forum. But just could not get hooked onto the leather forms. They were a bit "weird" for me. Then I stumbled onto Engraver Cafe. What a positive friendly atmosphere:) I felt at home. But I don't do metal engraving though I love it here and appreciate your craft. So I decided to post some engraved Leathercraft. If this is outside the spirit of this forum please delete it, Sam. Otherwise I hope you enjoy my work as much as I enjoy yours.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I can see some collaboration going on here.
metalwork combined with leather work......

beautiful workmanship and artistry, Christiaan.

Tom

hiloboy

Great work Christaan, i also do some leather work that i combined with my engraving and scrimshaw work .I first got into making my own belts.Because i wanted to match the designs i was engraving on the buckles i was making.. With the belts and i couldn't fine any one to do it..Now i use leather just like any other tool just like my engraving and scrimshaw .have you tryed burning on leather?I have tryed it and really like it.I did some stuff that looks a lot like scrimshaw only on leather...again great job..

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Christiaan,

Wonderful work. You have captured the essence of the animals; something not everyone can do. Should you ever decide to engrave you will find that you already have essential knowledge of the layout and design involved from your leather craft. You will find the medium much harder, the areas of work much smaller but it is not the quantum leap you might expect. Many of the same principles apply, in fact, I study the leather work of Al Stolhman (hope I spelled it correctly) from time to time simply to renew my perspective and gain inspiration.
Thanks for sharing,
Weldon

Andrew Biggs

Hi Christiann

Stunning leatherwork. Carved leather compliments engraved steel beautifully. Your definatley in the right place. What Weldon say's is correct. A lot of the concepts used for carving leather are very useful in the engraving world. Al Stohlmans work and drawings are classics. When I was 16-17 years old I carved leather full time for about a couple of years and loved it. I've still kept all the books and tools.

There is a great range of talented work shown on the forum, engraving, sculpting, scrimshaw, stone setting, jewellery, guns, knives, prints. Your work fits right in.

Please feel free to show us more of your work. It's beautiful.

Cheers
Andrew

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Christiaan, You fit right into a great forum as this and your engraving and carving is great, don't think I've seen any better...
Jerry

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think the spirit here is art and the love of it. also sharing ideas and how things get done certain ways. we will always enjoy lookin at your work. who knows, some of us just might get an idea or 2 from looking at your work !

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is very nice work Christian. The elephant is very lifelike and the carving on the holster is exceptional.

Thanks for posting your work,
Peter

Markofx

Sculpting metal or leather

Hi Christiann,

You'll hear about a guy named Bob Finley, he was a good friend of Don Glasser. Anyway, he is a machinest that took a few leasons form Don on engraving. He came back to show Don a piece he engraved in only a month, just breath taking. You're doing the same only with leather. I'll bet if you gave engraving a shot, you'd be sculpting metal like a duck to water. Great job!!! I've used leathercraft designs alot in bright cutting, I like to cut without much back ground and these designs are perfect.

Thanks again, Mark

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the positive compliments

Thanks for all the kind compliments, guys.

I'm truely blessed and humbled by your kind words of encouragement. Kind words by people that I respect as exceptional craftsman. I will gladly share more of my work.

joseph engrav,sculpt said
Christian.my compliments, the work is excellent, how did you learn your craft?
Joseph, I was kind of forced into it. After I studied for six years at University I did my 18 months compulsory National Service in the Army. After the Army I could not get work. It was in the years 1989-1995 in South Africa. The economy were on its knees because of the sanctions and tens of thousands white males were laid of and work was reserved for the previously disadvantaged.

I tried to make some leather items to get some money. But my leathercraft could never support the family. It did plug a few holes though. Luckily my wife is a pharmacist and she supported us.

I started with belts, bags and small things but always had the desire to make more creative articles. I did sell a few. Well, I rather gave them away and got tipped for my work. The craft is not appreciated in South Africa. Though the customers will tell me how many compliments they received for the engraved bags and brief cases I made for them. I sold that Rifle bag for $130.

I bought Al Stolman's books and learned from mistakes and the books. I enjoy doing African Animals, especially Elephants. Today I do not have to do leathercraft to survive. I'm not well of, but work at the most magnificent Collector Gunshop in South Africa called Classic Arms. I do leathercraft because I love it. I do not just engrave leather. There is a certain passionate relationship between me and the piece of leather. I love the smell, feel and possibilities of the Leather.

I bought a set of metal engraving tools, Books and videos by Lynton McKenzie from an old gentleman the other day for about $200. But could not find a reasonable priced vise yet. So I might just try some metal engraving in the near future. I have access to hundreds of cheap guns to practice on (some for $5-$10 so if I mess them up there is no loss) and quite a few Mauser Magazine plates if I want to try my hand at them. I will only try a Mauser magazine plate once I know I can do a good job. Weldon's encouraging words might just get me into the Metal engraving. :D :D

Here is a brief case I did for an attorney. Sorry for the quality. I took a digital photo of a printed photo.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Your skill and artistry with leather are unsurpassed. I am sure those qualities will be evident when you start
engraving metal. I will be looking forward to seeing more of your work.
gailm

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Christiaan, that leather work is as good as it gets, but those box corners are screaming for some attention and that will help you stay busy if you want more work. I think learning to engrave would enhance your products and your reputation, but get into an invironment that appreciates what you do. The general public is ignorant. You need good clients that will pay you what you ar worth. Do you attend any good shows? Some are good and some are bad and you need to find the ones that will be worthwhile. There might be some prospects in the FEGA arena. You are invited to come and visit us there, but you don't need an invitation. It is open to anyone who likes guns, engraving, leather work, woodcarving, scrimshaw, etc. etc. It is a good environment for excellent craftsmen and some of the most skilled gunmakers and engravers attend that show.

It seems, by your comments that you aren't getting payed sufficently, a common problem amongst craftsmen, but more important, your work needs to be seen in the right places. It is excellent! It seems too that you have the same passion that we engravers do, which is evedent in your skill as a leather worker. Leather working is beginning to make a transition from traditional stuff to a new creative attitude and engraving designs are showing up on leather.......Pretty exciting!
You just gotta' engrave those box corners!!!......Welcome to the forum!!!
Ron S

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, thank you for your comments. You will not know how much it means to me. I appreciate your encouraging advise. Getting to FEGA will be a dream come true and I will love to go. But it is unbelievably expensive from South Africa with our weak currency. It will be an honor to meet you and the other engravers that I've met and respect on this site. You are an inspiration to us on the other side of the big pond.