engraving 101: how to use a punch

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Carlos,I use a chasing hammer for dot punching the back ground for better control,also get as many finger around your punch so it doesn't jump out of your hand and work away from your self so you can see were to place the next dot.I like your videos and your enthusiasm.:thumbsup: J.J.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Carlos

You mentioned in your video that you were unsure of why chasing hammers are different.

Everyone has their own preference and you will find that a lot of people make their own chasing hammers. The key ingredient is the weight of the hammer. The one you have is quite heavy so even a light tap can pack quite a force.

You will find that many engravers will have a few hammers of different weight to do everything from heavy to delicate work.

Another key feature is the handle. This can range from a crude dowel type handle to one that has some spring in it.

Cheers
Andrew

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew

Very good information, on the hammer, thanks for watching, and for your input. I saw Mr. Mckenzie's dvd, and he was talking about the same topic how you can grind it to make it lighter.

thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, and Andrew,
One of the reasons chasing hammers are different, at least in the old ones I use is that the head is not hardened like many other hammers. This of course gives the hammer better purchase on the chasing tools when struck. Also you'll notice the face of chasing hammers is much larger than a standard hammer. The large face allows one to watch the workpiece and not the hammer when striking the tool. Then lastly is the springier handle which gives the tool quite a bit of snap in the stroke. Much better for delicate work.
Layne

Sponsors