Question: engraving a Glock slide: removing Tenifer coating and ...

B Mears

I have a customer with a Glock who wants the slide engraved. How do I remove the Tenifer coating and what is the metal like to engrave? I have seen some excellent results.
thanks, Brian in Shasta County

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
B Mears: Good luck with that. The coating is close to diamond on the Rockwell-C scale. You will have better luck with an after market slide.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
If I'm not mistaken Glock stopped using Tenifer around 2012. I also am thinking that Tenufer isn't a finish or coating but actually a treatment process, but I'm by no means an expert. In any event, if it's a Gen 4 Glock it should not have Tenifer.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I met an engraver at FEGA who does lots of Glocks, mostly after market slides. However he said he sometimes does factory slides. He takes off the finish with a belt sander which adds three hours to the job. It may take you longer if you haven't done one before.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I'm new 'round here but I think I remember a Carlos that posts here. If he's the same Carlos I've seen on some of the Glock forums you may want to PM him for some advice.

paintedman

Send it to Fords plating in Florida, they striped it pulled the sites prepped for engraving & sent back to me. Then they hard chromed the engraved slide all for $120 they have done 2 for me in the past couple of months plan on using a carbide Cmax graver they are TuFF to cut or at least The ones i have done recently were.. here the last one in the in between stages while i was still drawing and cutting screwed up never go a pic of the finished gun the coust was so excited when it got back they ran off with it before i realized it

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
engraving Glocks brings to mind what Dean said to Haldeman(?): "We could do it, but it would be wrong."

and for the record, i carry a 19. love it, but fine art it ain't.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
engraving Glocks brings to mind what Dean said to Haldeman(?): "We could do it, but it would be wrong."

and for the record, i carry a 19. love it, but fine art it ain't.
I requested written orders to carry a Glock when I was a Deputy, Sheriff was not happy about that. Then we got a new Sheriff and 1911 were the order of the day and out came my gold cup. But I do like the engraving at the top of the page.:beerchug:

kfengraver

i engraved my glock 17 . used cmax with 105 50 face 15 heal and i cut right through the coating. it wasn't the hard you break points and sharpen but oh well i wanted it done it turned out pretty cool.

Sponsors