Engraving a Kimber ultra carry !

50 Degree

I am thinking about engraving a Kimber ultracarry does anyone know if this is an engravable
pistol,the slide is stainless and the frame is aluminum. Thanks 50 Degree!:cool:

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
let first state that this is hearsay, but as i understand, you are not supposed to engrave the aluminum frames... i have one of my own and i have been planning to do the slide only... again this is not from experience just what i understand, hope it helps K Frei

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
I know aluminum is very soft and have had experiences with it in engraving. What would be the reason for not engraving the frame even though it is aluminum. My Experience is to just use my monarch and set the airtach very low and it will work fine. Please correct me if I am missing something, thanks Ethelbert

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Generally aluminum frames of firearms are made from 7075 (grade) aluminum which is really aircraft aluminum. It cuts very well and clean and is not gummy at all.

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
My understanding wasn't the ability to cut the aluminum, but that there was some worry about structure being compromised.... Again this is just what I have herd and I am sure that there are much more knowledgeable people here to answer. K Frei

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
I think you would need to cut it pretty deep to compromise the frame as the barrel holds back the pressure if in fact the pistol is ever used after the engraving . Aluminum gun frames are pretty hard as they gotta take care of the rock & roll of the slide when the rounds go off.

Latest posts

Sponsors