engraving a rose

I had a customer who asked me to engrave a rose on her lip plate.
This is what I came up with. Does anyone have a source for free copyright
design? I was looking for something a bit more delicate.
Thanks, Gail Williams
Handengraver, Williams Flutes,
Boston, MA

Attachments

• rose lipplate.jpg
    rose lipplate.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 224
  • rose lipplate2.jpg
    rose lipplate2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 199

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Gail: Can you post larger photos, please? It's difficult to see your work when they're this small.

CLICK HERE to see a Google image search for 'clipart rose'. I would think you could engrave any of these as most clipart is copyright free. Double check just to be sure. / ~Sam

Well lookie there!!! Thanks Sam. Sorry this is a bit out of focus. I had a hard time getting a clear shot.
I used a flat graver. I thought it would look nice with all bright cuts. I think it looks a bit over done.
I am going to try again today.
Gail

Attachments

• 100_1034.jpg
    100_1034.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Gail, a subject like this is really hard to photograph because of glare.
You need more diffuse lighting.
I found some success by using a plastic 1 gal milk jug.
The plastic diffuses the light nicely.
You'd have to cut holes to pass the flute through the jug, and a hole for the lens.
This is not for publication quality photos, but it will surely help dissipate some of the glare, allowing your image to stand out better.
Tom

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you want some really neat, but easy floral patterns- the old tandy leather pattern books offer a treasure
house of stuff like that. i used to get a lot of design ideas for ladies' jewelry- especially bracelets and buckles. the designs are all copyrite free.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sometimes the artsy fartsy craft stores have tons of different pattern books for carvers, pyrographers, and artist wannabies. you'll find more patterns than you'll want to deal with, and on a truckload of subjects.

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Once again Ilearn something from this site. Before I read your post and looked at the picture.
I jumped to conclusions and assumed a lip plate was some kind of jewelry the Goth type kids were wearing down at tha mall. Wrong again! Gail I liked the rose, but your the one who has to be satisfied. good luck in your search.

Latest posts

Sponsors