Help, please: Engraving a signature on a stainless steel pen cap

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm definitely not averse to having it hand-engraved, it's just that it's not easy to source
The pictures you show in post 18 are not hand engraved or "carbide dragged". They are done by hand using high speed rotary tool of something like dental turbine or a modern NSK machine.
Any competent jeweler could accomplish this but your best bet would be to find someone doing glass etching on Wine glasses, perfume bottles, wine or other alcohol bottles. What you see is their bread and butter and copying signatures is quite common. Often upscale departments stores have these people on call or have them in for sales events.

Reluctantly

The pictures you show in post 18 are not hand engraved or "carbide dragged". They are done by hand using high speed rotary tool of something like dental turbine or a modern NSK machine.
Any competent jeweler could accomplish this but your best bet would be to find someone doing glass etching on Wine glasses, perfume bottles, wine or other alcohol bottles. What you see is their bread and butter and copying signatures is quite common. Often upscale departments stores have these people on call or have them in for sales events.
Yes, you're spot on, the pictures of those black resin pens are not engraved or dragged, but mine is a polished steel cap, not resin. I added the pics to show the style and scale because I couldn't find any pictures of metal caps with similar engravings.

I completely appreciate the highly skilled art of hand engraving, but I was after something very understated and simple - I'm not covering the whole cap in intricate detail. Also, I actually like the look of diamond cut engraving on steel.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
"I actually like the look of diamond cut engraving on steel."

The "V" shaped bright cut created by Diamond drag, is also created (even more beautifully) with a polished graver typically used by hand engravers. If that's the look you're after, hand engraving is the way to go, and can deliver it beautifully.

Diamond drag is a mechanical process designed to scratch lines into a flat surface, either from a brass template, or from a computer program. Honestly, it simply isn't designed for finely detailed work like recreating a signature on a curved surface with absolute fidelity. If you haven't had any success with your approach, it's because you're attempting to create a silk purse from a sows ear.

Backing up a bit, I don't know if you realize it, but (myself excluded), you've been corresponding in this thread with some of the top hand engravers in the world, and it seems, summarily dismissing their advice, and boneheadedly ignoring their extensive expertise, and experience.

If you're trolling, I suggest you simply move on, as your question has now been addressed by experts in detail. If you're not trolling, I suggest you heed the advice you've been given and get on with finding someone to do the work you need.

Reluctantly

"I actually like the look of diamond cut engraving on steel."

The "V" shaped bright cut created by Diamond drag, is also created (even more beautifully) with a polished graver typically used by hand engravers. If that's the look you're after, hand engraving is the way to go, and can deliver it beautifully.

Diamond drag is a mechanical process designed to scratch lines into a flat surface, either from a brass template, or from a computer program. Honestly, it simply isn't designed for finely detailed work like recreating a signature on a curved surface with absolute fidelity. If you haven't had any success with your approach, it's because you're attempting to create a silk purse from a sows ear.

Backing up a bit, I don't know if you realize it, but (myself excluded), you've been corresponding in this thread with some of the top hand engravers in the world, and it seems, summarily dismissing their advice, and boneheadedly ignoring their extensive expertise, and experience.

If you're trolling, I suggest you simply move on, as your question has now been addressed by experts in detail. If you're not trolling, I suggest you heed the advice you've been given and get on with finding someone to do the work you need.
Not trolling, of course.

Yes, it is the "V" shape bright cut I am after. I finalized an arrangement for it to be done this morning. It will be Diamond cut by a workshop specializing in pen engraving. If it looks terrible, perhaps I can find a hand engraver to go over it with a graver, improving the line.

Thanks to you and the rest of the posters, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The work I've seen online over the past few days upon your recommendations is incredible.

Latest posts

Sponsors