engraving aluminum and then blacking

newengraver1

I am engraving dog tags and then want to blacken them. I have seen it done with mastergraves 'blacking fluid for aluminum' but the black is not that solid and bold.

is there another way guys? I should stress we need to be able to do it quickly and clean ie we will be doing in batches of 50 at a time and ideally would want to blacken all 50 in under an hour.

if its not possible then I know a laser machine could do it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
an easy way to do this without the fuss and xtra steps{{{ use anodized blanks. no need to do any further step. to answer though, i'd use black rustoleum. the problem here-- each piece will have to be wiped clean after black is applied. not sure there's a quick & easy solution requiring no additional work.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks for you reply, I had a quick look (quite a long look actually lol) and found this, is this what you are referring to?

https://www.homebase.co.uk/rust-oleum-black-satin-paint-250ml_p125051

the letters that I am engraving will be tiny obviosuly, would you recommend something like a mini figure paint brush to apply it?

and something like thinners to remove any excess?

thanks for your help
to answer that-- i'd need to know the surface finish. matte, shiney polished, etc. i'd probably wear a finger cot or perhaps latex gloves. you'll have to experiment to see what worx best.

Latest posts

Sponsors