Engraving class...

RedRiver

Hi everyone, I wonder if an online class is a worthwhile investment of time and money? Are there any active in-person classes, or a private instructor working in southern Florida? I'm just starting out and not sure of which direction to go in this new interest of mine. I don't want to waste time or money and need a teacher for sure. an example is I still haven't ordered a single graver yet because of all the choices available. I'm not even sure if using hand tools or a power engraver would be best for me. Thank you in advance for your help, I'm sure you have all been in my position at one time or another.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
There are some excellent engravers in Florida and near by states.
Under normal conditions an invited invitation to their shop would be a help in giving you some answers and ideas of your direction.
But with the Plague upon us, that makes an invite a problem. But make some calls, give it a try.
You can find a list of engravers on www.fega.com and other places.

RedRiver

Thank you John B. I have visited the site and have become a member. The Plaque upon us will not deter us. I guess I've begun. Still would like to hear from a Floridian answering my questions.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, take a class or classes. There are tricks to every trade. You will progress faster if you have someone teaching you. It was a great help to me to take classes. If you can do it GRS s a good place to start. I also think there is a Texas engraving school. I don't know much about them but I'm sure there are good as well. Perhaps others will suggest places where they have group lessons. Taking lessons as a group should make it less costly.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
i recommend Ray Cover’s classes. He has all of the Airgraver brands for you to try and provides excellent comprehensive instruction. Looks like he has a class coming up in October.
http://learningtoengrave.com/

Also, Sam Alfaro apparently offers individual instruction in his studio near New Orleans.

Last edited:

RedRiver

Thank you all once again. I will not be able to travel to far and that is why I ask for Florida classes. I'll learn it the had way and try to pick up tricks and tips along the way.

Latest posts

Sponsors