Announcement: Engraving Glossary Now on Line

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After months of combing through over forty books (in four languages) on engraving and assembling photo illustrations, Roger Bleile's International, Illustrated Glossary of Hand-Engraving Terminology is now on line. Over 370 definitions and over 400 illustrations are available to engravers, collectors and writers at http://www.engravingglossary.com/.

Steve Lindsay Engraving and Tools sponsor the glossary site but the definitions include tools and accessories of every manufacture and type. I want to take this opportunity to thank Steve for his sponsorship and assistance with the site and providing some of the illustrations from his work. I also want to thank Steve’s daughter, Kaitlin for loading the definitions and photos into the site.

Though the glossary is a large body of work (22,000+ words) I expect to add a few more definitions in the future. I also plan to add additional illustrations and will be seeking out active engravers to provide pictures of their work for additional examples.

Now before you hop over to the glossary I have started another thread with a 20 question quiz to test your engraver’s vocabulary. The quiz is just for fun so take the quiz then go to the glossary and see how you did.

I hope you enjoy what we put together,

CRB

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,

My hat is off to you...what an awesome work you have accomplished! Excellent, simply excellent!! Can't wait to see it in print(?)

Weldon

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Wow Roger That is very cool and i can only imagine the work you put into it....Thank you! This is a great resorce

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A most excellent resource and very well done, Roger.
Long live the art!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, that is a impressive job you did. :tiphat:

Thank I have ad it to my internet favourites so I can come back later instead of trying to read it all in one time.

arnaud

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Roger...

This glossery of your really brings it home for me....answers all kinds of questions I have...just spent better than an hour on your site and my head is swimming ! How can I ever thank you ! Great work my friend !

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
Your glossary is incredible.I can't begin to imagine how much time and effort it must have taken you to do this. Thanks you so much. It is something I will go look at often.

Stewart

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. While collectors and writers will no doubt find the glossary useful, it was written with my fellow engravers in mind.

Weldon, I do intend to bring the glossary to print as part of a larger engraver's reference work. Before I do I will be seeking active engravers to provide reference pictures of their work to suplement, or in some cases, replace some of the pictures on the web site.

CRB

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Roger,
thank you for the great work! Now it will be a lot easier to understand, when you guys talk about something.

BTW i note there are a lot of Italian and German terms in it - that's cool!
And one of the best thing i found as yet is "BIGGS OCEANIA SCROLL" - that is a good sign, because it shows, what i always thought: history (e.g. engraving-history) must not be carved in stone. It is alive and the web is a good place to keep it alive. BRAVO!
Mario

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, I've only had time to briefly dip into the glossary. You'll go down in history if you haven't already for previous work.

The past two weeks I was wondering about a glossary just for scrolls. I've been looking through Ron S's three books and he has some terms that are probably unique to him. I was thinking more terms would be helpful in order to have a clearer discussion about scroll work. That may be already in your work.
You're doing us all a service, especially us beginners.
Kevin P.

ngraver98

ur latest endeavor

Hi Roger . . . . thanks for including our tools and kind comments. Give my regards to Carl.

Ray P.