Engraving initials on outside of wedding band

metalbender62

Hello!

I had a first time request given to me - engrave names and birthdates on the outside of a 14k White Gold wedding band.

Lettering is not my strength. Any tips for a job like this? Wondering about the layout and transfer of letters. Also dealing with the curvature of the band. I recently got back into engraving after an absence for medical reasons so I’m a bit rusty!

Thanks!
Tom

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
What alloy is the white gold? Virtually all nickel white gold is rhodium plated.

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome back to our brotherhood !!!
Take a silver ring and practice .. Take a hand on the font.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
You might consider going to a home building or plumbing supply and buy some copper pipe or copper unions (3/4 inch) to practice on while you get comfortable engraving on a curved surface. As an inexpensive ring holding option, a short piece of steel (first two photos) can be inserted through the ring (to support ring) and the remainder of the ring can be clamped in the vise jaws. I milled a couple of flats on rod just to allow for more grip on ring. If you use this method be careful how much clamping pressure you apply to ring. It is possible to mark edges if you get a little aggressive tightening. In photos 3 & 4 is one that I made. It holds the ring by expanding the plastic cylinder inside the ring and additionally allows the ring to be rotated as you engrave. If you choose not to make one there are numerous commercial versions available check GRS and Rio Grande.
IMG_0470.jpeg
IMG_0471.jpeg
IMG_0472.jpeg
IMG_0473.jpeg
BTW hope you are not too deep in snow up there...I remember the snows in Rochester and around Syracuse area.

metalbender62

Thanks for the replies!!!
@DanM- it is all nickel brother.
@Stefan- Thanks! It’s good to be back. Amazing how much you can lose by not picking up a graver for a while. Definitely will be practicing a ton before I start this job.
@Archie- nice idea with the copper pipe! Cool jig you have there too. I have a pretty good fixture to hold the ring.

Would you guys draw the lettering on the band or try a transfer method? Again, not being a lettering pro I worry about trying to hand draw on the band. While a transfer method poses it’s own issues because of the domed surface and just trying to get the darn paper/transparency film on the band correctly and well enough to acetone it or burnish. Yikes! o_O

metalbender62

Archie,
It’s been a pretty calm winter so far. This latest storm dumped about 17” at my house. Temps are creeping up today so freezing rain then regular rain. A slushy mess!
Are you from this area?

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This is absolutly beautiful Arch, pro design, pro execution and works like one too. Thanks for sharing. pap

papart1

This is absolutly beautiful Arch, pro design, pro execution and works like one too. Thanks for sharing. pap

papart1

papart1

sorry..........something messed up there to do both, still good tho!

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
@metalbender62

Just asking the question,not all white gold is alloyed with nickel and the working properties can be different.

i only work with a palladium alloy for white gold.. too many people are alergic to nickle for me to risk it (only took a few times). palladium is not as white, and a bit softer.. which is a boon if you are carving on your own steam

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Archie,
It’s been a pretty calm winter so far. This latest storm dumped about 17” at my house. Temps are creeping up today so freezing rain then regular rain. A slushy mess!
Are you from this area?[/QUOTE
Sorry missed your response ... I moved to Rochester in '76 to attend RIT. Xerox picked me up me right out of school... just retired 9 years ago (tho still consulting for them) and moved back home / south to NC.

Sponsors