Engraving ivory

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Had an interesting call today ... new customer wants me to engrave letters onto some ivory piano keys. Anyone have experience engraving ivory? Any special techniques necessary? Thanks in advance.

Travis Fry

Scrimshaw is typical, but not exclusively so. I'm not sure exactly how it's done, but I assume just the normal way like you do on mother of pearl (i.e., extremely carefully). I'm very interested in others' responses.

Here are a few examples I recall:

Not sure who cut this, but it's on a Bruce Bump blackpowder pistol.
1695390165733.png

Here's some by Julie Warenski on a Curt Erickson knife.
1695390199455.png

More by Julie Warenski on a knife of her own (I think):

1695390299362.png

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Correct in that scrim is not an exclusive method, it is however the more typical way, not sure how old that posted work is but in today's world many states have outlawed the sale of ivory in an attempt to save the elephants in Africa (made it more lucrative for the black market), this tends to make locating inexpensive material to practice on very difficult.

I'm one that tends to cut a practice design on like material before I commit to the final piece.

Travis Fry

Correct in that scrim is not an exclusive method, it is however the more typical way, not sure how old that posted work is but in today's world many states have outlawed the sale of ivory in an attempt to save the elephants in Africa (made it more lucrative for the black market), this tends to make locating inexpensive material to practice on very difficult.

I'm one that tends to cut a practice design on like material before I commit to the final piece.
True.

I would guess all of that work I posted was pre-2018.

Technically, elephant is only illegal in a few certain states and if it crosses state lines (i.e., is under federal regulation), but it's best avoided generally, and most folks (even high end knife makers) usually substitute some synthetic material or, preferably, fossil mammoth or walrus. Both of those can be fairly easily obtained. And having worked with all of the options mentioned above plus bone and antler, I think the biggest difference for engraving would be between anything synthetic and anything natural. In other words, I think you could practice with cow bone and it would be similar enough to get started, and mammoth if you wanted the most similar thing to elephant.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Cow horn is stringy has a grain base to tip. Cutting across this(with a graver) will cause you grief. Not a suitable substitute imo. I’ve used walrus with good results mammoth ivory pretty pricey for pactice material imo.

monk

Staff member
let us not forget ivory "flavored" micarta. knifemakers use it all the time.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
Don't have it in front of me right now, but the book "Engraving on Precious Metals" by Britten, Hall and a third name I can't dredge up at the moment, does have a chapter or part of a chapter about engraving ivory. It's been many years since I read that part of the book, but in my recollection the recommendation for a much sharper cutting angle sticks out. I think the reason was to slice through more cleanly and help to avoid chipping out on the engraved lines. I also seem to think there was a brief bit about coloring the engraved lines in ivory, something that wasn't uncommon, back in the day. This book was originally published well before the ivory bans/restrictions were in place, hence the inclusion of a topic that would cross an engraver's bench.

Thanks,
Doug

Travis Fry

let us not forget ivory "flavored" micarta. knifemakers use it all the time.
The ivory paper micarta is my preferred ivory substitute for now if I'm making a using knife, and if I'm not using mammoth. I've done some small test cuts with a graver, and I think it would engrave nicely. For higher end stuff (safe queens) mammoth or walrus still rule. I have some nice American Holly wood that's go a lot of potential as well, but haven't used it on a knife yet. Giraffe bone is nice and dense as well, but I've not used it.

Houlihan

Had an interesting call today ... new customer wants me to engrave letters onto some ivory piano keys. Anyone have experience engraving ivory? Any special techniques necessary? Thanks in advance.
I’ve done quite a bit of it, including on piano keys, which are pretty thin. I use a carbide point and black oil paint. IMG_1696.jpeg IMG_1458.jpeg

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hoolihan,
Is that top picture a duck call? Rolling Thunder Game Calls is located in our town and the owner lives across the field from me. They've got a pretty nice set-up and do fancy ones on special order, but I don't know what all that entails.

Houlihan

Hoolihan,
Is that top picture a duck call? Rolling Thunder Game Calls is located in our town and the owner lives across the field from me. They've got a pretty nice set-up and do fancy ones on special order, but I don't know what all that entails.
Yes. It’s a duck call I carved a few years ago. I typically inlay ivory or antler and scrimshaw them. I have not tried a graver on ivory. I suspect it would work fine but you wouldn’t need any power because it’s so soft, relatively speaking.

Latest posts

Sponsors