Engraving knives

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to have some hints on how to finish gold inlays on knife bosters and handle rivets without marking the surrounding materials. Stoning gold inlays on the cross bolts looks like sure disaster. It's done by talented engravers, but HOW?

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
This is very helpful information.
Also I'm wondering if and how any masking of the surrounding areas is done?
What is the finish (grit) on a real high quality knife bolster?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Glenn: on all materials except stone, I expect to refinish the entire knife after stoning off inlaid gold. This is when having a relationship with the maker is important so he/she can guide you through the refinish back to original specs.

Stone handle materials can only be repolished by the maker. Don't scuff, scratch, or mar them. If you do, expect to pay a severe penalty of having your engraving ruined when the maker is forced to repolish over everything to fix your mistakes. I think I posted something about this in a previous thread.

I don't know of any way to mask off areas for stoning gold. I've used common tape to protect stone from accidental bumps, but not as a mask. / ~Sam

~Sam

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Glen,
What I use to protect an area is tape for instance, an interframe:
Put scotch tape over handle inlay drawn outline with pencil trim excess.
Then I cut a thin border around handle inlay (not letting curling chip scratch inlay or metal).
After border is cut replace scotch tape with thick packing tape use exacto knife to trim, now you can work right up to the tape being carful not to sand through tape, and is very easy to replace if it gets thin from sanding.
Here is an exmple:
http://www.eatonknives.com/k_ArtFolder_Arthur_02_dramatic.html

This method can be used for raised gold the thickness of the tape helps you keep the gold higher.
Hope this helps.
Rick

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Rick ,
That knife is fantastic!!!! Truly a work of art, wonderful in every way. Thanks for sharing your work. Guys take a look at Ricks knife very very nice!!!!!

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
WOW, Great response to my inquiry. This is more of a tutorial with your example. Thank you very much. I hope all members read your post Rick.
Definately a hall of fame inductee!:)

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words, it's a real blessing to be able work at something you love, and making a living at it is a bonus.
All the best
Rick

Latest posts

Sponsors