engraving pad

Nick1

I've been reading that some engravers use an engraving pad. My question is, how do they hold the work in place when they push the graver ?

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nick, the pad is for resting things too big and cumbersom or delicate hollow things like goblets, big trays and such. I have wondered if the vibration of the pneumatic would still perform as well under these circumstances, but being out of that business, I haven't tried it. Would be curious to know. I held things in my lap at times that were too big even for the pad, such as wine coolers. .................They hold the work and turn it with the other hand..........Its tricky, not easy work, but necessary at times......Ron S

steichman

Nick, I do a fair amount of printing with copper plate, many of these are to large to hold in a tipical engravers vice. The plate is placed on a leather strip or pad, any scrap will do. the plate is placed so about one inch or more hangs over the edge of the surface you are working on. I turn with my right hand and push with my left. the bit that hangs over the edge helps with turning and general control. Not so hard once you get the hang of it.
Steve

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no rocket science here. bags filled with sand or lead shot can do wonders at times also.

AllanFink1960

I have been reading a fair amount about engraving, and it seems the engraving ball as we know it is a fairly recent invention. Sand bags, leather, leather pads filled with stuff, various vices and clamps, pitch bowls, shellac sticks...I get the impression that over the centuries, the rule was... if it holds it firmly, you can use it.