Engraving Tools For Muzzleloaders

LRB

Thought I would start a new thread relative to muzzleloader engraving. These are about the full extent of my engraving tools. A square chisle, a push graver, burnisher made from W2 rod, with an antler grip, a $1.00 tack hammer modified with a one inch face brazed on, a flat graver from a piece of file. I sharpen with a second hand Crocker on a medium Arkansas, then finish on 600 grit paper. I epoxy parts on a block of wood and lock it into my bench vise, or work parts directly on the guns if necessary. I use no magnification. I am so nearsighted that I see very clearly in my work range. I do work under a 100 watt bulb in a swivel, elbowed fixture. This is certainly not a recommended way to go, but I get by. What little I know, I have learned from this board, and Lynton McKenzie tapes.

JCP

LRB That's beautiful.

Makes me want to watch my lynton mckenzie video again. I must have missed something.

Thanks for sharing , It's very inspirational to this beginner.

Jack

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great looking rifle.
One suggestion.......try using hot melt glue instead of epoxy to glue your parts to a piece of wood. Works great and easy to reheat a bit to remove. Any residue that lingers on the metal can be removed with WD40 or naptha.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you have done 4 very good things. you have practiced drawing. practiced your engraving. you have learned how to make tools, and you have come to the right place. very nice work. i'm a long time fan of work on the old style guns. this is very nice work, nice to look at. fancy gun is right, you'll spend a lot of xtra time fiddlin with that epoxy stuff. i can show you some neat jigs if you like. monk45@verizon.net

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
LRB.
Good post in this fast food world, thanks.
Just goes to show that the KISS method works, and works well.
Bottom line is and always will be, talent and persistence.
John B.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
LRB, the hot melt glue works great. Just the right amount of hold.

I have a bunch of different size wooden blocks, with glue on one face. Simply warm the glue with a torch, and stick your metal down on the glue. Can be re-used countless times until the glue gets so dirty/burnt it won't hold anymore.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
LRB, great job and an exquisite muzzle loader. How much would you charge to let me fondle it? I did some of those myself, but with hammer and chisel. Had to walk around the piece bent over to get at the areas to engrave. Not good on the back..........It is a bummer if you can't take the parts out of the gun, but you have done an excellent job on this one all around........................Did you build it yourself? I might recommend using thermoloc to hold your parts. It is great stuff and you can make about anything with it, includng thumbs..........

Amazing what a talented man can do with a few tools and a few years, ain't it???

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
LRB, from one builder to another, nice tasteful period engraving, carving is beautiful as well.
I've been at it since 84' , building guns that is, engraving about the past 3 yrs. on & off.
Kent

FEGA