Equipment Recommendations Needed

brennon272

Hello,

I have been reading for quite sometime on these forums while saving my money to buy proper equipment. I Would classify myself as a beginner. Ultimately, I want to work up to being able to firearms. The equipment will need to be able to accommodate that, even if I am not necessarily starting off doing full sized firearm parts off the bat. Based on the research I’ve done, it seems like the Lindsay products are really good (though expensive, which is ok if the quality warrants it). I have played around with some of the GRS Pneumatic products, however no Lindsay products. The classic palm control seems like a great option, as it is supposed to have a fairly reduced learning curve over standard pneumatic tools and be versatile. For a vise, I understand this is where I might have deviate and buy more than one tool for the job, as a huge vise that might work for gun parts may not work for small items like coins, etc. I’m open to recommendations for one or more vises here. Microscopes I am pretty much at a complete loss on. I have 20/20 vision, If that matters. I might like to try my hand at bulino, but I will primarily be doing scroll work. I am at an equal loss for consumables like gravers and an air system for the graver as well. I would also appreciate any engraving book recommendations as well! Apologies if this seems rather jumbled, sort of thinking out loud here.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome to the forum. The answers to most of your questions are here in the archives. Post where your located and there may be someone who will let you try their equipment.
Good luck,Leland

Amen to all new people posting their general location in their bio.
Hard to answer questions appropriately with no idea of their location.

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
This is just my humble opinion and there will be lots to go on from others and the archives.

Books: ron smiths advanced scrollwork
Scope: leica a60 due to the fusion optics lenses
Since you want to engrave firearms, atleast a turntable with stand.
The systems are a matter of preference so that I will leave to the birds.

Last edited:

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Machines like GRS or Lindsay or the others are all good. Just some people like different tools. And some people have multiple systems.

Your 20/20 vision doesnt mean much. Your eyes cant zoom in. So get a (good) Microscope. You will not regret is.

monk

Staff member
the magnablock is great for guns or other heavier stuff. it will work for smaller stuff. if you are constantly rotating the ball, as well as reorienting it as i do, you'll likely favor a mini vise as well. if your wife keeps tabs on yer spending, there are vises on the bay almost all the time

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
Resist the temptation to buy blocks or other engraving tools on ebay. Stay with the brand names sold by reputable dealers and makers.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Don’t forget the PULSEGRAVER. I have all of the GRS and Lindsay Engraver’s as well as the PULSEGRAVER. I like the PULSEGRAVER the best. They also give discounts on other equipment and free live webcasts and instruction on some evenings etc.

monk

Staff member
Resist the temptation to buy blocks or other engraving tools on ebay. Stay with the brand names sold by reputable dealers and makers.
i should have been more specific. those knockoffs aren't exactly a bargain, except for price.

Diacutter

2nd on the PulseGraver. I have several systems and hands down prefer my PulseGraver. Talk to Tira at Engraver.com Great to work with and they are running some specials currently. If you tell her your interested in an APG (Awesome Pulse Graver) you will get a chuckle out of her.

allan621

I have a question about the pulse graver noise level. Forgetting about an air compressor is it comparable to the noise level on the lindsay or grs tools?

allan621

Thanks. I'm only a couple of hours from Doylestown, Pa. I may take a drive up next month to take it for a test drive.

Allan

Latest posts

Sponsors