Fallkniven knife

en2siastic

Hello,
I’ve just finished this little Fallkniven knife. I’ve made the scales from 416 stainless steel. I’ve inlayed 2 grams of fine gold wire.
Best regards
Francis

Attachments

• IMG_1713_WEB.jpg
    IMG_1713_WEB.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1716_WEB.jpg
    IMG_1716_WEB.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 274

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
wonderful design! Folks this is what I am talking about when I say the engraving pattern should be derived from lines present in the object being engraved. Francis has taken the basic outlines of the bolsters and frames and created inteior borders and frames with the gold that really set off the interior scrollwork. This is master level design in my book.

Hey Francis, I will be in Aachen the 19th and 20th of December. flying back the 21rst with my daughter who is at school over there. Maybe you and Phillipe can come over and have dinner or something? Maybe drag the reclusive Renee along as well.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Francis

Stunning work as usual. I love theway you've intergrated the design into the shape of the knife and have the foliage growing from the thick border lines. Just beautiful!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very beautiful job, Francis. I like the layout and your tasteful use of gold. I'd also like to see a hairline engraved where the gold meets the steel. Bravo... congratulations! / Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd also like to see a hairline engraved where the gold meets the steel.

yeahhhhhhhh, welllllll, I really thought about mentioning this*, it was one of the first things to popped into my head TBH, but then I thought maybe he did it that on purpose, Francis is obviously not new to design, even when he is at Flea markets buying sewing machines.
http://www.igraver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1100

Really its possible with the knife in hand (as opposed to what we see in pictures) the band of gold is wide enough to be defined sufieciently albeit subtlely from the base stainless steel.... I don't know...

* for the newbies, a hairline black border cut between a gold inlay and bare stainless is almost invisible as far as the line itself is concerned, but does make the gold really "pop" out from the stainless which can really hide a small gold inlay in their similar contrast levels compared to the dark engraving.

Last edited:

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful Job Francis! I love the layout and execution on this piece! You are truly an Artist. Thanks for sharing it with us. Dwayne

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, Francis, your work is so beautifully done, and very precise. Your gold inlay is flawless, no ripples or gaps (my problem), nicely done. Did you use wire for the gold inlay?
The scrolls and shading impress me very much.

Thanks, Tom

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I'm late to the party because I didn't want to sound critical but...........

I agree with Sam about the outline for the gold. It needs it.
That is the first thing that popped into my mind when I first saw it posted.
It will add a ballanced counterpoint to the beautiful bold scroll.

Like Scott, I love the masterful design layout that follows the shape and form.
Best, John B.

Last edited:

en2siastic

Thank you.

Hello friends,
Thank you for your comments.
Sam, Scott and John B. thank you for your advice, I’m going to follow it.
Scott I’ll be happy to meet you again, I’ll talk to René and Phil about meeting you in the area.
Best regards.
Francis.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Francis.
I hope you post another picture of your beautiful little knife after you outline the gold work.
I'm sure we would all love to see it again and also hope you post it into the Gallery too.
Best regards, John B.