Fastening engraving

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
This really is not engraving, but does involve it. Some people I ride with have asked about having some of the work I have done attached to a belt or vest. The conchs's I did were for different SASS members. They used them however they wished. My own belt is covered in a line of silver bars each engraved differantly. I did not do this, my wife picked it up as a present years ago. I have looked at the belt many times and the work would be easy to do. The getting it to stick to a belt or vest is the tough part. Any suggestions on rivets or place to find them and a bench style machine to install them would be a great help.
Eric

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Quickcut:Your profile does not show where you live or I would have tried to find a closer address.
I'm not a leather worker but know there are a few on this board, who may be more help.
Tandy Leather Factory is probably the largest and best know distributor of leather working goods and supplies
They have locations in 45 states and 4 Canadian provinces.
I have their catalog in front of me.
You Can find them at tandyleather,com and request a catalog if there is not a store near you.
I drive within a block of their store in Des Moines everyday and found the people in the store to be very helpful if you have questions

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I've looked through the Tandy site, and only seen hand punches for setting rivets. Which I think would be rather abusive to the engraving. I'm looking for a bench model that would give you more control over the pressure exerted, and less chance of me screwing up the rivet or my metal work. I'll go back and look again thanks a lot for your help. By the way my wife added to my profile.

Eric

glendikes

Are the pieces large enough to utilize "Boston Screws" or small/short "sex bolts"? I have made several Texas Ranger type stars for belt conchos and for decorating other leather items. Cut or grind the barrel head to shorten and solder on the back and use short screws to attach.
Regards,
Glen

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
These pieces are roughly 3/4'' X 1-1/2''.Others are just oval disc's. I've used the barrel style bolt in the past for other puposes but was not sure how the slotted head would work against the fabric. If you seen a few of the people who asked, you could definatly see that pressure on this belt could be intense. All the barrel rivets I have seen are fairly large. Do they come in various sizes.

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
I use chicago screws on the back of belt conchos, I get them from Rio Grande and silver solder them to the concho after I dome them. You might want to put some loctite on them when you put them together. Ken