Question: Federal Firearms Liscense

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Hi guys, id like to aplly for my FFL. The application I found is the ammended ffl form#5300.38. Anybody know if this sounds correct. Also there were a bunch of sites trying to sell me a kit and help to fill this out. The document i read from the atf website didnot seem that complicated. Am i missing something or is there just a lot of websites trying to find a sucker?

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
There is a thorough discussion in the tips archive regarding ffl's.

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, thanks. Tons of info there. Looks like its not an easy process. Guess its time to get started. The journe of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

I just received my FFL for manufacturing which also allows me to be a dealer and gunsmithing activities ...i.e. engraving. Just fill out the form the BATF sends you, make sure your zoning and local laws allow the activity you want to persue and you will be fine. Took me right at 2 months from the time I sent my application in. The ATF agent was VERY helpfull and professional. My wife and I were both impressed. I was expecting to have to lay on the floor and beg, but it was exactly the opposite.

I didn't buy a kit, just ordered the forms. They come with instructions and was easy to do.

The biggest issues are your background check and zoning restrictions.