FEGA/ACGG Reno Show Schedule.

Andrew Biggs

FEGA/ACGG Reno Show Schedule.

Thurs. Jan 24th
Thurs. evening - Get together in FEGA president, Rex Pedersen's room (To be announced)

Fri. Jan 25th
Exhibitor setup from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
FEGA Certified Professional Judging - 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Platinum meeting room
Show open to members and public 12 p.m. - 9 p.m.

Sat. Jan. 26
8 a.m. FEGA Annual Meeting - Silver Baron Room 4, 5 & 6
8 a.m. - Presidents' Wives Coffee - Platinum meeting room
Show open to members and exhibitors right after meeting
Show open to public 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
6:00 p.m. Annual banquet and auction

Sun. Jan 27
Show open to members and exhibitors 9 a.m.
Show open to public 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Mon. Jan. 28
Seminars –
8:00 - 9:30 Marty Rabeno: Bulino Techniques
9:30-11:00 Sam Welch: Metal inlay
11:00-12:30 Bob Evans: Acid etching
12:30-1:30 Break for lunch
1:30-4:00?? Show and tell sessions: Bring your bits and pieces for some critiquing.

You will note that on the Saturday at 8am is the Presidents/wives coffee (or anyone else). This is for the partners to get together while us members discuss business at the general meeting. The partners by the looks of it have the better deal!!!!

This is a good chance for the partners that aren’t involved in the guilds to meet and greet one another if they want to.

At the same time as the joint FEGA/ACGG there is also the SCI show which starts earlier in the week (23rd to the 26th) at the Reno Sparks Convention Centre. Normally there are courtesy coaches that go to and from the hotels for this. More information about their convention is available at http://www.scifirstforhunters.org (click the convention button on the left)

A Knife show is also on at the Silver Legacy Hotel at the same time as the FEGA show………(My apologies that I have forgotten the name of that guild, perhaps someone could remind me) If you are a FEGA member you get in free. Well worth looking at!!! But be early.

"The knife show is called the American Bladesmiths Show.
It is usually held on the lobby level of the hotel."..............thanks John B for jogging my memory

Here is some more information hot off the press from Jan Billeb from ACGG……………………

This is the exhibition not to miss……the one and only time of the year when you can see the finest in quality engraved guns and visit with your fellow Guild members.

The 2008 Firearms Engravers & Gunmakers Exhibition will include a major display of historically significant custom firearms of the early 1900’s. Many guns from several private collections will be available for viewing. These include guns from the plainly practical to the lavishly ornate.

Available to see will be an Olympic-winning .22 from the 1908 Olympics, a Krag sporter owned by Townsend Whelen, and a one-of-a-kind National Match Springfield stocked by Seymour Griffin. Some of the greatest stockmakers of the early 20th century will be represented including Fred Adolf, John Dubiel, R.G. Owen, John Roberts, Thomas Shelhammer, Ludwig Wundhammer, Kirkwood, Pope and Zischang.

This display was organized in recognition of the 25th anniversary year of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild.

Famed shotgun expert David Trevallion will be attending, as well as other extremely knowledgeable collectors including Michael Petrov who will have books available to purchase.

Support the Guilds with your donation to the annual auction. Please send in the form to Bruce Farman right away or call him about your donation so it can be listed in the auction program. Reserve your banquet tickets by Jan. 10th. Tickets are $45 per person and include the cocktail hour, buffet dinner and auction. It’s a fun evening and the best time to relax and enjoy being with like-minded people.

Important – Make y our hotel reservations at the Silver Legacy and don’t wait any longer! Once the rooms in the room block (group code FEGE08) are sold there are no other rooms available in the hotel. If they are not all sold by December 22nd, the rooms will be available to the public.

This will all be printed in the next engraver magazine which FEGA members will get before Reno

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to add to the above information that imediately after the FEGA meeting is over, we will be conducting the various engraving competitions. These are in numerous catagories and are open for exhibiting FEGA members only. The frosting on the cake is our Engravers Choice Awards which again is for exhibiting members but ALL FEGA members in attendance vote for their favorites. So if you are out there for the show, make sure you participate in these awards and of course...VOTE
Perhaps Lee or Andrew can post a list of the award catagories.
It will be a great show as always

Andrew Biggs

Good call Marty........................

Here’s the information about the awards that appeared in the last issue of the Engraver magazine written by Lee Griffiths

The FEGA Awards

The awards have become a nice part of the exhibition enjoyed by most and endured by the rest. Here is a listing of the awards that were presented at last year’s exhibition. I still have to check with the sponsors but assuming no changes the line up for the upcoming show will be as follows:
Williams Gunsight Best Engraved Rifle
Smith & Wesson Best Engraved Handgun
Connecticut Shotgun Mfg. Co. Best Engraved Shotgun
GRS Best metal on/in Metal Inlay or Overlay
Glendo/GRS Artistic Uniqueness
People’s Choice Best Table
Award of Merit 2x
Engraver’s Choice
In order to be qualified to enter any of the competitions You must be a current member of FEGA of at least 6 months and also be exhibiting at the show with your own table. The pieces to be entered must have been completed within the last three years and the work on the entered piece be completed as to engraving. Unblued and uncolored firearms are eligible if the engraving is complete. The piece must be assembled and in a photographable condition. Exceptions are the two awards from Glendo/GRS. The entered piece need not be a firearm but the engraver must still be a member with his/her own table. The artistic uniqueness award encourages unusual subject matter for the engraving and non typical canvases. In other words something other than a firearm is allowed and encouraged.
Last year at the business meeting an award was approved for stock carving. This award will begin in 2009. Joe Rundell gave an outstanding seminar on stock carving at last year’s exhibition and we are excited to see what great things appear as a result. Bring what you have done to this year’s show and I’m sure Joe will enthusiastically review your efforts. He is one of the best anywhere in the world and provides a unique opportunity for help and advice.
In my few short years with the guild I have seen the level of work steadily improve making the judging more and more difficult. I believe it has also been part of the quality improvement as a whole. The top winners have always been good but now the gap between the top and below is about gone. Many pieces show up each year worthy of recognition. As long as we keep the awards in perspective and realize they are a very minor part of the show and what we do, they will remain where they rightfully belong. The awards are for fun and a momentary pat on the head.
Please join all of us at the show. Get a table, bring your wonderfully scratched up pieces and if you have questions contact me before or at the show. The judging will be held Sat. morning after the business meeting.

Cheers
Andrew