Question: FEGA DVD´s

Daniel29

I recently found out that there is a long list of DVD´s from past seminars that can be ordered.
Now i wonder what is the content in those DVD´s? Unfortunally the description gives only a Keyword, the year and the engraver. Are those videos real tutorials where the engraver is doing exactly what the keyword says? Or is it mainly talking about the specific technique with some photo examples.

I am interested in:

Bulino Engraving by Simone Fezzardi
Sculpting Scroll by Sam Alfano
Sculpting by Lee Griffith
Raised Gold Inlay by Tim George

If anyone has one or all of those DVD´s can someone tell me how much you can see in real time how the specific topic is done?

Does these DVD´s are like this video?

Thank you in advance!

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a lot of these DVDs from the FEGA including the ones you mentioned. I would skip [Bulino Engraving by Simone Fezzardi ] the rest of the ones you mentioned are good. The ones by Chris De Camillis are super and the ones by Sam welch are super also. Just my opinion though.

Daniel29

Thank you for your answer!

Could you explain why the Bulino is not that good?

Are those videos like Sams tutorials for cutting scrollwork and letters?

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do not like to critisize people's stuff on the net. However the other videos I mentioned are very good and much like Sam A's. Sam Welch's is one of the best I have ever seen in my opinion.

JohnC

One video that covers many different topics in the engraving field is GRS video by Don Glasser. It is a good reference video for many different facets of engraving.
ENGRAVING METHODS AND TECHNIQUES
GRS ITEM #011-483

$47.15
This two-part set puts years of engraving experience into a 4-hour presentation.

Not overly expensive and a wealth of information on subjects sharpening, tempering and hardening graver(s). Covers hammer and chisel initially but focuses on Air tool engraving for the bulk of his demonstration.

Good luck and have fun..

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Each of these videos was recorded during seminars at the Engravers Guild show in Vegas each year. Every year two of us will do a seminar on a single subject. Since they are recorded on the fly they are simple in nature. Also be aware that since the audience is mostly experienced engravers that most of these are done with the idea that the those in attendance have a working knowledge of either the subject at hand or engraving in general. In other words they are usually not start to finish how to videos. It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact the person who did the seminar to ask what was discussed and that might give you a better idea of it's usefulness.

Latest posts

Sponsors