FFL question

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I just sold my house and moved into another all in the past month, during that time my FFL was up for renewal. I filled out the form prior but by the time the agent contacted me everything was in the works and it was within a week or so for the date on my my license. The agent said when we got moved to send her some info, she requested a copy of the notorized warranty deed on the house we bought. My question is, is that a normal or required request… don’t remember having to provide that when I first got my license. Seems like an odd request.

sorry for the long explanation…

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what ??! everything by the benevolent gov is weird, unexpected, and seemingly without reason. the safe answer would come from yer agent. the ffl laws vary widely from one place to the next.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
what ??! everything by the benevolent gov is weird, unexpected, and seemingly without reason. the safe answer would come from yer agent. the ffl laws vary widely from one place to the next.
It was my agent that requested it. I can understand they want to make sure I live there and and there is no other parties involved but a copy of the warranty deed seems a bit much and personal. My concern is obviously the current atmosphere and could this be used in a malicious way?… don’t know, hoping someone has more insight on the matter.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
If I have understood your concerns you were in a state of transition from an old address to a new address. An FFL is for a particular physicals place and is not valid for doing firearms business at any other location. Even if your license was not up for renewal you would have had to get a new one for the new address. The warranty deed is proof of your permanent change of address which is needed to approved the renewed license in a different location than your previous location. Proof of a particular permanent residency is required for many different business licenses (Corporations, LLC, and the like) and vary by State and local governments. Some times and electrical paid invoice etc is sufficient for the proof other times when these items are not available due to circumstances (moving etc) the only proofs would be warranty deeds as a proof of change of permanent address. I do not find the request to be out of line in your circumstance. Sometime Banks and other local entities need to have this proof of a permanent residence as well. There are always those who try to circumvent laws and set up a fake business address to illegally traffic in the firearms trade. Illegally trafficking's hurts us all.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
The warranty deed is proof of your permanent change of address which is needed to approved the renewed license in a different location than your previous location. I do not find the request to be out of line in your circumstance.
Thanks mgreen, considering it’s an FFL I understand the need to have proof of permanent address change just wondering if I should be concerned and if anyone else has had a similar request.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
In my experience, this is a routine request from ATF. Hopefully there is no HOA for your new location, and there are no deed restrictions, or zoning limitations. ATF will look into all of these items before issuing a new license, and believe me, they'll be thorough. The burden of proof is completely yours in this circumstance, and it pays to have done all of the homework in advance.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
In my experience, this is a routine request from ATF. Hopefully there is no HOA for your new location, and there are no deed restrictions, or zoning limitations. ATF will look into all of these items before issuing a new license, and believe me, they'll be thorough. The burden of proof is completely yours in this circumstance, and it pays to have done all of the homework in advance.
Thanks, still kind of new to having a FFL and the the varying requirements & requests… and no HOA.

Latest posts

Sponsors