Question: Filling lettering

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Marcus,
Looks like you are getting ready for Kansas with that hat!
Just remember.. We drive on the OTHER side of the road!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apply any flat black paint with a Q-tip and wipe it off with the fleshy part of your palm below your thumb, or as Tira suggested, a piece of newsprint or phonebook paper. I never attempt to get the paint to be flush with the surface, just to darken the lettering.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Unfortunately Andrew's superb rendition was totally lost when reduced to avatar size. :(

I've decided to cut a practice plate (one of the GRS heavy brass name plates) with 2 types of engraving. One will be cut deep (or what I consider deep) and the other will have shaded lettering like I use when initialing ovals on gunstocks. The shaded stuff looks very nice at the moment so I might go with that but I'll post a pic when it's finished for your thoughts. Coincidentally, I rubbed a black Sharpie over the shaded letters and that looks great; the plus is if they remove the black with Brasso another going over with the Sharpie would restore it! What do you think?

By the way Rex, it's an Aussie hat and they drive on the correct side of the road too! It's a bit to warm for Kansas, the straw Bailey is much more in keeping.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ideally, if they polish the plate from time to time and don't get too carried away the letters will remain tarnished and have a good contrast anyhow.
You are right, that hat would be a bit warm for Kansas in August! It will go well with the blue Crocs however!! :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
wriggling & stippling the lettering, followed by a few polishings with brasso will fill the letters with dark oxidation "gunk". it may not be as black as you want, but it looks good, just the same. try it on a piece of scrap brass to see if you like the effect. the lettering should be at least .020" deep. each time the brass is polished, the lettering will take on a life all its' own.

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marcus

I use a hard filling wax, looks like sealing wax. Should be available from Suttons or H. Walsh. The plate is heated from the back and the wax stick melted into the lettering. Excess scraped off with stiff card then the rest is machine polished off when set. Messy job but looks the business. There's still a few plates around Harrogate I did 25+ years ago, still looking good after years of polishing.

The lettering is cut very deep, probably around 1.5mm or so, heavy going. You'll have to start pumping those soft southern muscles..... :big grin:

Cheers

Degs

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Miss Gail.
If his Battle doesn't take to his new titfer he'll probably get a right royal bollicking!
He looks so rakish in it she won't want him around any of the other fillies. What d'ya think?
Now they know we're just a little do-dally-tap-la, don't they.

Best, and take care.

Latest posts

Sponsors