fine point pens

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
It seems to me that someone had mentioned a fine point ink pen that is used for drawing paterns. I believe the pen had a .3mm point or perhaps it was .5mm. Can't seem to find anything in 'search'. Anyone know of such a pen or was I imagining it?. If there is such an animal, what's it called or where can one be found??

Thanks
Cody

Andrew Biggs

Hi Cody..............I think that was me.

Try a Rotoring or Staedler technical pen. They'll last you a lifetime. There are probabley other brands but I don't know what they are called. I find that the .25mm nib works best. You can buy them with a felt nib or a steel nib.....................go for the steel nib. They cost more but are worth the money. The felt nibs squash up no matter how light your touch so a .25mm turns into a .5mm pretty quickly.

The time I use it is when the pencil drawings are done. Place good quality tracing/velum paper over the pencil drawing and trace all your outlines. This gives you clean and crisp artwork that you can then scan/print or photocopy, depending on what transfer method you like.

The .25mm gives a very nice line when reduced in size and transfered. You may like to try a couple of sizes out to see what you like best

I've never tried them directly on to the surface to be engraved.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Andrew

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Cody,

There are many brands of metal point Technical Pens.
A good brand to look at are Kohinoor Rapidograph which comes in many sizes.
The fine line is a 6X0/ .13 line thickness.
A very usefull size, if you just want one is an 00/.30.
Be sure to use the proper ink and to keep the pen cleaned and flushed out before storing it.
There are also many brands of fine felt point pens available at art and some big office supply stores.
The problem with these, as my friend Andrew points out is that the selt wears and the lines get thicker.
But they are quite a bit cheaper than the metal pointed technical pens. Your choice.

Hope this helps.
John B.

Last edited:

metalartz

check into www.jetpens.com
They have pilot hi tec-c pens down to .25. I like the .30 it flow just that little bit better.
or if you want felt tip they have pilot drawing pens the smallest tip is .28. the black barrel ones are permanent ink that is waterproof, great to mark up your metal with.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
There you go Cody.
Andrew and I must have been typing a reply at the same time.
But as things revolve the other way in New Zealand he beat me to it. Ha ha.
John B.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. Going to the city tomorrow, I'll see if they are available there. There's only one small office supply store there and I don't know if they carry this sort of thing. If not, I can order online from somewhere.

Thanks
Cody

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cody,

On paper I use Steadtler Mars Professional pens in .25 and .35 (I believe that is MM sizes)

O metal I use Zig memory system Millennium pens. They come ins several sizes (I have them down to .005. But the one I use most is .01. They are a waterproof permanent pen made in Japan. Scott P. turned me onto these and I have to say they are great for drawing right on the metal. I get mine at a local Joannes Fabrics and Crafts store for about $3 each.

Ray

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In a pinch a Sharpie ultra fine point works as well. You just need to "sharpen" it on the power hone.
You can put a pretty decent point on one but you have to be careful not to press too hard. This is for drawing directly on the metal. The others mentioned above work better but I usually have to order them and I always have Sharpies around.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Cody~ I use the Micron 005 pen / .20 mm line width by Sakura Color Products of Japan. Like the pen Ray uses, I can use this straight on metal without the ink beading up on it. The bonus is the cost about $2.75 each and last a very long time. You can find these at most craft stores, I get mine at Ben Franklins.... don't know how big a chain they are?

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I found a Staedtler pigment liner in .05 at Staples Office Supply, sharpen the rounded point to a point and draw directly onto the metal.