Finely finished

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jim,

I think your monogram design is nice and lends itself well to the stone setting. The photos make it a little difficult to discern a lot of detail but from what I can see here are some suggestions. This was an ambitious project for someone just starting out. I commend you!

I'm no monogram expert but here are some suggestions.

For lettering, I find the 120 to be the most forgiving. Your shallower cuts appear to have been done with a 90. These lighter, shallow cuts look to be a little ragged. They would look better if they were not so tentatively executed. These could easily be cleaned up by going over them again with a highly polished 120. I would also be sure to keep the graver well lubricated while recutting. Lubrication will help make the cuts cleaner and smoother, and will make the whole job easier. Take your time and go over the initial light cuts in 2 or 3 passes until the monogram appears to 'lift off' the plate but not so much that they overshadow your deeper, primary bright cuts.

It's would be a bit more difficult to clean up your bright cuts, but if you were to try, I would suggest using a 120 with a full length uniform heel which will be easier to control (in this case)than a standard heel.

Leaning the 120 slightly to flare your cuts will give the monogram more life. I would sugesst experimenting first on a practice plate though so you are able to recut these lines with a lot of confidence.

Be consistent in the direction you are cutting from line to line. Doing so will allow the engraving to capture and direct light in a pleasing way. If you have Meek's book, The Art of Engraving, he offers some very good advice on this subject (see chapter 4 about lettering).

Finally, it is a always lot easier to get a nice, consistent finish before the engraving is done rather than after. The somewhat rough sanding of this plate detracts from your work and will be difficult to clean up now that the design is cut.

I hope this helps you. Keep cutting and good luck!

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Wood grain the J?

Thanks JB

I will fallow your suggestions when I cut a new one. First I need to get a handle on the 120. I set one up a while back and didn't like the feel of it, I need to practice with it more.

To me it looks like the J needs a little more heft I wonder if some kind of wood graining will work. Practice, practice, practice.

Jim Sackett