First Attempt

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Here's a picture(I hope) of my first engraving attempt. When I say first, I mean no training, never held a graver etc. This is just desire and availability of equipment. I used a Gravermach, 901 hand piece and factory sharpened gravers(without the 15 degree heel, two broken tips and yes I need a sharpener) I had to draw my design by hand on the steel as I haven't figured out the transfer method yet.
All helpful advice appreciated....this would have been better if the handle of my hatchet had not broke!
Jerry

Attachments

• 1st Try-engraving.JPG
    1st Try-engraving.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 259

hmw

Well Jerry, thats pretty good for no training and raw out of the box tools. We'll get that fixed come Sept! How did you hold the plate, did you get a ball?

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Herman...yea, I got a new standard one from GRS. I have most everything but the sharpener.
Back to the vice..I've got two more gravers to break....
Jerry

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
just keep reading away every page on the forum, don't be shy, take notes- theres lots of stuff to remember.
and practice drawing and cutting every day. this makes it happen. if you get bored making practice plates, create useful stuff- key fobs, watch fobs, belt buckles, you can make lots of really nice stuff that is "practice" but the recipients don't need to know that. just keep doin it, it looks good.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Want advice?
STOP engraving and LEARN to sharpen the tools!
Now that I have your attention.....
What you did was fine but if you continue to try to engrave with a tool without a heel you'll just be hindering yourself and have to re-learn everything once you get gravers right. I've seen way too many engravers struggle with tools sharpened incorrectly. Once they "get it right" life gets much easier. Sharpening systems are the best but you can do it by hand. There are threads on this.
Just my 2 cents.

jmcutting

I will second fegarex's advice... sharpening is by far the most important piece to engraving. I started out just as you did txtwang... I had purchased gravers and just started scratching. Once I finally got my sharpening hone along with Sam's DVD on sharpening I realized I was just wasting my time. Learn to sharpen and start to feel the difference!

-justin

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can get a Smith's brand Tri-hone for under $30 at most 'outdoor' places. Let me go see if I can find you a link to one....
Ok, found it on Cabela's site. click here to see it.
Not near as good as the PowerHone but when used with the dual-angle fixture it'll get the job done (eventually ;))

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but...

Hey Steve-
In your last post you inserted a link with the words "click here". I know how to insert a link, but I can't figure out how to change the text that shows up in the post to say "click here" or anything else that would make sense at the time. A little help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

The 'code' tag doesn't work on this forum like it does on others so I'm using parens () instead of the square brackets.

Instead of (url)long link that messes up window width(/url)
you use (url=long link that messes up window witdth)text that is the link(/url)

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe the most simple way would be to select the text you want to make to a link and then in "Advanced" mode you click "Insert link" button - it's earth with little clip underneath - and in that popup window you put your link.

Wow

I thought I was a little bit internet savvy, but I have no idea what you just said:confused:

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Vilts

I'm not really sure what advanced mode is. I have used the earth with little clip underneath button to insert links before. I just don't know how to change the text for the link. I've been on other forums where a box pops up for you to insert the link, then another box pops up for you to name the link within your post. Such as "click here".

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
You have my attention!! but I beat you all to the punch. After breaking the two tips, I knew I was spinning my wheels by trying to procede. So I put everything back in the boxes and will wait till I go to Odessa to visit Herman Wells and get sharpening lessons and hopefully by the time I return home I can order my power hone...and I was having so much fun till the tips broke.....

Thanks
Jerry

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just preview a message with a long URL and you'll see the code. It's easy enough to move the first close bracket (]) and put in the '=' and the text you want to show. Try it, you'll like it!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry,
You'll be SO glad you did. I know it can be fun but its so much more fun with the proper sharpening. A power hone and fixture makes life wonderful but they still can be sharpened by hand too.

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
The first piece of serious equipment I bought ws the powerhone and the sharpening fixture and Sam's dvd. I was using push tools and it made a world of difference. Well worth the money.

As to the linking:
1. type your text
2. highlight your text (the click here)
3. click on the worrld and clip (chainlink) icon
4. a box window should appear for you to enter the url. If not you may want to check to see if pop-up windows are blocked on your browser settings (I doubt this is the problem but it might).

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Sponsors