Critique Request First fine line ever (Meek's Squrell)

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to show you the first Bulino (fine line) piece I ever did. It is Mr. Meek's squirrel from GRS.
The leaves and acorns and some of the lines were done with the Monarch, the lines that make up the squirrel were hand pushed. Please, I would like some critique and Please be honest.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 221
  • pappy.jpg
    pappy.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Steve: I would encourage you to shoot some better photos. It's really difficult to see detail in these. / ~Sam

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
I am by no means at a level to give advice on the engraving, but from a drawing point of view my eye is drawn to the lines of the ears and of the lower portion of the head (jaw line). In drawing this kind of outlining is to be avoided whenever possible. Look to define the edge by a contrast (in value or texture). I think if you did something to the background or just let the hairs define the edge it would be better. For a first attempt I would be pleased with the overall.

I may have to give the little fellow a shot myself.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Sam that better pictures are needed here.
(I'm not very good at photography....it's just as hard for me to take good pictures as it is for me to make good engraving.)

And I agree with Roycrofron: You've used what I call a "hard line" to define the ears and jaw. Try to make those outlines out of hair----small, tiny "hair like" cuts.

Keep on it!

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
Can you give me any hints at good photo settings to shoot this type of detail work? I am using a new Canon sx110is and the shots looked much better at on the monitor. I had to shoot outside holding the camera in my hands to get enough light. I guess I should have used a tripod and a timer for a film release.

Brian and Roycroftron: I see what you mean about the hard line around the ears and jaws. I should have used very short lines here to simulate the edge of the fur.

To All: Where I really screwed up is I made some slips and went over them with the burnisher. They weren't bad but they were there. I used #600 wet or dry paper to even out the background. It didn't look quite as nice after that. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could fix this?

To all: Thanks for taking the time to look at my work.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made some slips and went over them with the burnisher. They weren't bad but they were there. I used #600 wet or dry paper to even out the background. It didn't look quite as nice after that. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could fix this?

Bulino is not a one time and your done kindo deal. Go back over the areas that have lighteend up due to the 600 paper and make them darker again. Depending on you what size burs you are raising by your bulino cuts, you may want to be using 800 or 1000 grit paper to knock off burs so that you are not taking away too much.

Using a burnisher to "fix" bulino is probably not the best idea. ( I don;t know, I have never tried it) but given the the critical depth of the cuts and the requirement for flat surface that reflects light evenly, I would think the burnisher is going to create slight rifts or valleys that cannot be hidden in a pure bulino setting.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
PAPPY: i'm the last to chime in here , cause i'm the dumbest. when you take a foto that isn't quite up to snuff: sometime if you fiddle with it in your computer program, it can be improved a bit. the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, & all that junk can sometimes salvage a foto. take the foto and give it a try. you may get a slightly better result. i fiddled a bit with your foto. altered the brightness & contrast a bit. still not a world class foto, but perhaps a bit easier to see.

Last edited:

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
from where i'm sitting, the tail looks good, nice job on the fur. the chin and ear lines do stand out, and the tree could use some work... but a whale of a lot better than anything i have to show...
gary

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, everyone,
As you know, it was my first try at bulino using an 80deg. tool. I should try a 105 deg next. I asked my daughter to bring up her camera (A lot better than the camera I use) so maybe I can get some better pictures. I didn't think it was too bad for my first Bulino attempt. I also have a deep sculptured piece that I did, but it will be awhile until I can get the picture just right. It is very hard to get a good picture on this piece because of the shadows which develop due to the depth og the cuts,

Thanks again for your feedback!

pappy