Help, please: First gun show

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
So I finally have all my necessary licenses to work on other people's firearms. Here in NY we have a few more hoops to jump through then the rest of you I think.

I am going to be doing my first gun show in March and I have three pieces done to show examples of my work, and a few cylinders to demo on at the show. I plan on using a computer monitor/video cam system so people can watch me work. I also have a few sample plates done up to show different styles, lettering, and border options. I plan on having a friend help at my table for security while I'm at work, you know how we get blinders going.

My question is actually just a call for suggestions in what other things I should consider.

Thanks in advance!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,

If you set up your engraving tools and engrave something at the show, you will have people coming to you to get things engraved (especially lettering) while the customer waits. This is a mixed thing. On the one hand you can make a few bucks to defray your show expenses, on the other hand if you are not used to the pressure of engraving with lots of distractions and the customer talking to you while you work it can be very stressful. Also if you have a fly out while you are engraving at the show the news will be all over the show in no time and can impact people's confidence in your abilities.

My brother and I both decided long ago not to engrave people's guns and knives at shows because we thought that it gave the collectors the idea that that we might be engraving their gun while working a show with all its distractions. That said, I know a few expierienced engravers who engrave people's guns at cowboy shoots or trap and skeet matches and they do very well finantially. So as I said it can be a mixed bag.

Good luck on the show. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Cheers,

Roger

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Also if you have a fly out while you are engraving at the show the news will be all over the show in no time and can impact people's confidence in your abilities."

and if you have your fly open while you are engraving that's not good, either. :eek:

it's been years since i did a show, but just try to have a nice clean table without it looking like you're having a yard sale. less is more- show your latest, bestest, and don't worry about having an example of everything you've ever tried. a nice, good quality leather bound portfolio might be nice if you have many photos to show. get a few yards of a decent piece of suitable fabric for a table cloth- something restrained in a classy color like a dark forest green or muted medium-deep blue. avoid bright reds, etc- unless you're actually shooting for the French cathouse look, but i'm guessing you're not....

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ron,Don't forget business cards,with your web site and email address.I would never let you get past my table with out getting a card in your hand.When demonstrating I sit at a vise working with a bruin,no problem with fly outs.People lile to watch you working with your hands.Hope this work for you.:thumbsup:J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
btw, Ron- will you be at the next Arts & Crafts wingding at the Grove Park Inn? my wife & i usually go every 2-3 yrs (would probably go more often but parking is a nightmare, etc...) and it's been awhile since our last time. if you're gonna be there i'll make a point of going.

mitch

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good table lighting and tasteful signage is also important. A nice magnifying glass helps the potential customer appreciate the details in the engraving.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I shared a table for a few CADA shows with an engraver friend. She used hammer & chisel and a half bowling ball vise. The tapping of the H&C carried very well even in a somewhat noisy hall, but there was always a crowd around the table drawn there by the sound. She also taught engraving at a community college and was very good at explaining the process and getting the visitors to try it. She always got jobs and may have been responsible for starting some visitors on a path to engraving.