First nickel.....

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I carved this nickel so that I could qualify as a member of the newly formed missing finger club. It took me all of 20 minutes to do. It was quick and dirty and nothing to be proud of but it's still my first.
I was also hoping that we could have uniforms to wear and a secret hand shake would also be nice :)

Dennis

Attachments

• P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 195

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Dennis
that is great... Great Photo also
what kind of nickel is that?
you can join!
as for the secret handshake i just hold my hand up ( i am missing my ring finger) and ask people how many fingers i am holding up....some say 3 others say 4...i tell them "all of em"
good job on the nick put it on ebay. and make sure you sign it and state that it is your 1st
Dave

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Dave,
It's a 2004 Lewis & Clark nickel.
Should we decide who lost fingers in the most manly way? I lost mine in a gold mining accident in the Southern Sierra Nevada mountains in 1976.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
New Nickel

Hi Dennis,

Very nice carving and only 20 minutes? That is fast. The design looks familiar. Hmmm, now I remember! When I joined the air Force my recruiter told me that it was a seagull on a beach ball with an anchor up it's butt yelling "go Navy!" Ahhh, the good old days of military competition. Anyway, I don't know about a secret handshake, but for a logo we could use Mickey Mouse's left hand holding a graver, he only has three fingers, ya know.

Joe Paonessa

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Joe,
It's true that The Marine Corps is a separate part of the Department of the Navy....... It's the MENS Department.

Ah the Air Force.... The only branch were only the Officers do the fighting.

Dennis

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Good one Joe
My friends always tease me about being Homer Simpson...He only has 3 also DoH
Dulltool
I cant beat the Goldmine story but I was pulling a big box that weighed about 600 lbs on a pallet jack and was going along at a pretty good clip.
I put my hand up on the top of a door jamb for a little leverage and there was a small screw that caught my ring...the momentum of the large box pushed me thru the door and ripped it out. The tendon that was attached to the finger decided to snap clear down by my elbow......I cried.
dave

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Finger loss

Dave's story sounds the best so far. Mine was an accidental experiment in tool creation. I found that if you have a piece of 1/8 inch cold rolled flat steel and a 1/2 inch Craftsman wrench turning a bolt going through said steel, if enough force is used to turn the wrench ( the opposite end got caught on a small conveyor belt), the two items will become a pair of scissors. As my fellow finger forfeiters can attest to, it is a surreal experience to look down with your hand in a closed fist and see your fingertip pointing back at you, from several feet away. Lucky for me, I only lost about a centimeter (3/8") and the nail did grow back. Now, who wants a bowl of Wendy's chili?

Joe Paonessa

JTC

Dulltool,
Love the nickel. I still have all my fingers but they all do not work. Two fingers on my left hand are just for show. I caught a piece of Iraqi shrapnel back in 91 while serving with USMC. Can I still join the club?

How did you do the backgrounding for the EGA?

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Joe, The finger story looking at it pointing at you...
I did that with my left foot. I fell off a large wrecker and looked down and my heel and bottom of shoe was pointing up. It was my left foot too.
J.T. I would vote you into the imaginary lefty coin carving club we have with highest honors.

Later,
Keith

JTC

Dennis,
Thanks for the membership but I must clarify one point. I was a Naval Officer assigned to the Marines. In my 30 years of active duty I spent 24 of them assigned to Marine Corps commands. I loved working with Marines and would not trade those tours for anything.
Dennis, your next nickel should have cannons on it.
Best Regards,
J. T.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
J.T.,
A Navy man huh... Well you can still retain your club membership... BUT no eye contact with other members for the first week.

P.S. The Navy has cannons... The Marines have Howitzers.

Welcome,
Dennis

Sponsors