Flat sided V graver

JohnR

Elite Cafe Member
Can anyone show me what a Flat sided V graver looks like and how it is shaped & sharpened? I remember someone telling me how they use it to clean up and shape the insides of lettering for inlays. Thanks for any help.....JohnR

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not sure I understand what you are asking for. But I use a 60' graver to cleanup really tight areas in my jewelry work. The 60' is very narrow and when tapered down to a fine point it will fit into pretty tight places. Also a knife graver will fit even tighter areas but they are extemely fragile so I don't really use them.

I personally like the 60' because I find the geometry easier to work with than an onglette and it's very simple to sharpen with the GRS dual angle fixture. This graver, a couple of flat graver from size 36 to 42, a square graver and a round graver is really all I use in stone setting.

I know you asked about a graver in relation to lettering, but stone setting and inlay work is not all that different in the requirements. The 60' graver you can roll over and not worry too much about touching something you don't want touched.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I recall John someone described an onglette that they ground the face at a slight angle to the side surface and then established a cutting face on the long side. Needed to make a right and left I think. I was trying to find that thread a while back but couldn't. Might have even been on the fine embellishment over at the knife network. I would sure like to learn that grind myself. Thanks for bringing it up. Fred

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
V Graver

John, With the onglette graver you can engrave anything,either with H&C, briun,or power assist when properly sharpen,scrolls,borders,scenes,animals or birds.:thumbsup: J.J.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I recall, the gravers you are talking about are shown in the Jeweler's Engraving Manual. Don't know if you have a copy of it.
They were used for doing lettering.

JohnR

Elite Cafe Member
I found it. Leonard Francolini web site under, how to gold inlay a factory rollmark. There's a picture of the flat V graver he uses. I can't see the angles very well but is it a standard flat graver or a special cut?.......JohnR

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I found it. Leonard Francolini web site under, how to gold inlay a factory rollmark. There's a picture of the flat V graver he uses. I can't see the angles very well but is it a standard flat graver or a special cut?.......JohnR

John,

Did you look at the link I posted? There are flat gravers and there are square gravers and so forth. A square graver could be called a V graver. There is no such thing as a "flat V graver." In the series of images on leonard's tutorial about inlaying a roll mark he initialy uses a square graver that has the top ground down in the same way as done using a Lindsay template so that when you look at it from the front it is pentagonal (shaped like home plate). The top three grinds have nothing to do with the way the graver cuts, it is just a uniform way to remove the surplus metal on the top of the graver. The cutting part is a square graver. The surplus on the top can be rounded off or ground down flat so that it looks like a triangle from the front.

In Leonard's photo series, he also uses an undercutting punch and a setting punch to set the gold wire. He also uses a regular flat graver to trim off the excess gold.

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

JohnR

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger. When Leonard explaned each step of the inlay process he called the square graver, in the photo, a flat sided v graver. I think he meant to say, use the flat side of a v graver to sharpen up the inside walls. In the picture it looked like the graver was different but I see now that its just a standard cut square graver, my mistake. Thanks for the info........JohnR

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
John,

You may have seen an angled face sharpened onto an onglette one of the times you were here - but normally it's used for pave setting.

There is a left and right handed graver in those.

Never thought about using them for inlay work, but a variation might just work to get up into tiny angles? Much stronger than knife graver points!

If you didn't see 'em - remind me to pull them out next time you come by...

Brian

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JohnR, The flat sided graver you were wanting to cleanup the vertical wall can be created from either a flat or ongelette. Your question brought back a memory of the configuration which I failed to locate but remembered the basics and did some grinding. I used a number one ongelett but a 36 or 37 flat would also work just as well I think. I ground the face at a 45 degree with no heel. This setup cuts sideways not down. After my face was roughed with 600 diamond wheel using the dual angle GRS fixture I switched to the 1200. I adjusted the angled adjusting bolt in the base to create a 5 degree lift (more or less) by loosening the lock nut and running the bolt through a bit and re-tightening the lock nut. Next I aligned the post with the center axle of the wheel. With the wheel rotating I lowered the left side of the face to create a cutting edge along the right side of the face. De-burred grinding burr then strooped on the leather with diamond spray crating a sharp cutting edge on the side of the tool. You have to make both a right and left cutting edge graver. You must also be careful a little so that you don't use down pressure as there is no heel and the tool can dive pretty easily.

I believe this is the configuration I had read about. If not, oh well-works fine anyway-Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors