Flute Engraving

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work Brian. What are they made of brass with plating or precious metal? So you make wine also. Since your fairly close to me I'll have to bring some of mine down and we can sample each others. I'll bring the sopressata and bread you can supply the cheese:)

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The flutes are beautiful as is your work on them. A hand made instrument is a work of art in itself even before the engraving.

Do you work on high end professional models or are they mid range student models - maybe the entire range (except for student plated models)? It certainly is a cool "gig" so to speak.

Have you every knicked the embouchure hole? That is my biggest fear with doing my own flute. One scratch and I'd be one unhappy camper. Keep up the great work!

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, Sure we can get together sometime. That would be nice. I never had a real desire to make wine, but when I bought my present home, it came with a small established vineyard. Nothing big, but it does produce 600-1000 lbs. of grapes each year....Couldn't let them go to waste......And now you know the rest of the story.

Tira........ALL of my work on flutes are on the high end professional models.Burkart,Muramatsu,Miyazawa,etc.,etc.

Never knicked the embouchure hole-That is a big No-No.

If I'm working near the embouchure hole, I either tape it up or place a big dollop of hot melt glue over the hole. (BTW---Hot melt glue will peel off easily if you spray it with denatured alcohol)

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, really nice work.

Since you do so many flutes, do you have, you must have some kind of special holding fixture? I am always interested in workholding. I will have rifle barrels to cut.........and like to see what others do.

I understand if this is proprietary.

Excellent idea to stipple first, and then engrave the brights. You must have the hand control thing down pretty well, by the looks of your work!

Thanks, Tom

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike..........I meant to add that the flutes are all solid precious metal alloys. Pure Silver, Sterling Silver, 14K Gold, 19.5K Gold and Platinum .

Tom----The fixture isn't a proprietary thing with me. I'll try to post a picture of it, but I'm also getting ready for vacation next week, so it may make the thread at a later date.
My fixture is basically a barrel spinner without the live center end bearings. And I made it out of Oak wood.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom---I was able to get this quicker than I thought.
As you can see, nothing fancy.
The ends are drilled about 3/4 in. deep. The flute tube actually is into the end blocks not just clamped up against them.
Brian

I guess I will never play the flute...I sail alot and have constant problem with chapped lips...I CANNOT imagine touching my lips to those plates even if they are carefully deburred. Although, that may help develop callouses to reduce the chapping problem...hmmm...a soltuion better than chapstick, maybe?

I like the heart design, Brian, the dots are beautiful and I love how the wheat (?) bends and curves. I thought for moment I saw it sway in the wind. Without engraving the stalk you have a stalk in them.

Thanks for the explanation about stippling first. When I saw the flowers (and I assume the border around the heart as well) I thought, I wonder if he did the stippling first? The bright cuts are so crisp.

And the picture of your holder set-up is very informative and helpful.

Aloha,
Robert Booth
The Koa Bench Goldsmith

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
25 miles southwest of pittsburgh. situated on i 70 route 40 route 19 179

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Robert, I must admit that I am a little weak in the photography department---mainly due to cheaper equipment, however, I'm working on acquiring a little better camera and some lighting skills, and it is probably why my engraving looks so much better when it is held in your hands. I'll get better at it.
I designed the heart pattern from watching a number of women at our church making a quilt and I was trying to emulate the stitching. Too bad my photo skills aren't displaying that very well.
BTW---I'll never play the flute,either. I already play several instruments and am attempting to learn the ukulele.
The holding fixture I've displayed is adjustable. The right side is permanently bolted to the lower crossbar, the left side slides back and forth.

Monk----I know exactly where you are! Just came through there a few weeks ago. We'll have to hook up some time---maybe in Claysville.

Latest posts

Sponsors